cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 10d deselect the UserData (DFSr) folder under 2003 ShadowCopyComponents???

Edward_Charles
Level 6
We run 2003 R2 servers with BE 10d and have several servers that replicate data with DFS.
When checking the restore and selection lists I noticed the DFS folders are probably being backed up twice?
 The second place the DFSR shares are being backed up is in the Shadow Copy Components.  Under shadow copy components there is a subfolder for User Data then Distributed File System Replication, then DfsrReplicatedFolders.  Do both of these locations need to be backed up?  The amount of data backed up during each job for each item is the same so I assume the folder is being backed up twice.

The question is is it save to deselect this UserData or DFSrReplicatedFolders folder from the selection list as the data is backed from it's original location already.

I've read several posts mentioning it can be deselected as you wouldn't restore to this anyways..???

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
That is absolutely right.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sksujeet
Level 6

The DFSR data should always be backed up under shadow copy components as if you upgrade the server to 11d or later then you can't backup the DFSR from the selection list and will not backup the data if backed up under the c drive or other drive. It has to be backed up under the shadow copy components.

Edward_Charles
Level 6
THanks for your reply.
The strange thing is I can actually back up the replicated folder on the other server but no on this one but it has it in this UserData folder that I wasn't even aware of.
The next BE install will be the 2010 version so then you just unselect the DFS data folder on D: and make sure it's selected in UserData instead?

Regards,

Paul

sksujeet
Level 6
That is absolutely right.

sksujeet
Level 6
Please mark it as solution if it answered your query.