cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 11d not picking tape from robotic library

Adecs
Level 3
I have an issue where i have installed BE 11d on to a Windows Server 2003 box

The BE has picked up the auto loader and can see it in the list of devices, it can see the 8 tapes that are loaded in to the auto loader.

These tapes can be invetoried etc, but when a job is set up and scheduled to run it just sits there asking for a tape to be inserted using the Import command.  If i use the import comand i can hear the auto loader working the tape moves from the slot it is in (so im assuming it is in the cradle ready to be used) then the BE throws up this error

Event ID 58064

Backup Exec Alert: Library Insert
(Server: "CIHBACKUP") (Job: "Backup 00014") Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media.

any help on this one would be great...

Thanks

Gareth Collins

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Before the job starts, if you inventory the slots, do the tapes show in BLUE or BLACK

If they show in black, then Backup Exec thinks they are not overwritable.  Did you label them, then move them to the target media set?  If so, that's  the problem.  When you moved them they took all properties of the target set including OPP

Just label them and leave them in the Scratch media set and let BackupExec move them to the target when the job runs

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 09-12-2007 12:52 PM

Adecs
Level 3
Thanks for the reply

Some was showing as blue and some were black,  will do what you suggested and let you know the outcome

thanks for your help

Gareth

Adecs
Level 3
hello

i have been testing this and i have moved all the media in to the Scratch Media group

when running a backup, or attempting to, the media is getting moved in to the default group

Keep Data Infinitely - Do not allow Overwrite

then this media is turning from blue to black and then throwing up this error

The job failed with the following error: Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec

i have read about this error and it is pointing to the media needing to be in the scratch media set, but during the job creation i only get to select the Keep Data Infinitely - Do not allow Overwrite group and not the media in the scratch media group

any suggestions??

Gareth

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Well that looks like two separate issues to me.
The first is that you can only select the default media set - Keep Data Indefinitely. Have you created any other media sets? If you haven't then, you can't choose any other media set than the default.
The second issue is the "Access to a device not authorized" message. This usually occurs because (when in trial mode) you have included an item in a selection list, of a type which you do not have a license for. Often this is the BE database. Have a look at http://www.backupexecfaq.com/articles/problems/unable-to-attach-to-bkupexec.html

Adecs
Level 3
hi there

i have the license for 11d and was trying to access a server that is on the network

think this is down to not having the remote agent license installed

i am awaiting this now

thanks for this..

I have another question also, we have a standard tape roataion, mon tues wed thurs fri1 fri2 fri3 fri4

how do i get the software to get the right tape on the right day as im using an autoloader and can not see this option

thanks