cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 SP3 slow backup problem

mbuyukkarakas
Level 4
Hi all,

I'm using BE SP3 on a Windows 2003 SP2 64bit Enterprise server. 8 GB RAM and 8 CPU. And 2 x1 Gbit NICs teamed.
As you can see in the picture below, I have a big performance problem. I dont understand why the system is suffering.

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
As i see all the backups are running on the B2D folder and might be the issue with the B2D disk. Have you tried running any backup to tape to see how it runs. Can you please try running the backup on some other disk to find out it is not the issue with that particular disk. If you find the issue with the disk itself then please DEFRAG it and try the backup again.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

Your issue is probably due to the number of jobs running at the same time. Check your processes, and see which 1 is eating the most resources in terms of CPU and memory.
Also, try look at staggering your jobs if you can...this should also lessen the load.

Laters!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
If you haven't installed the latest hotfixes after SP3  then run live update and install all the 14 hotfixes. 

Also push out updates on the remote agents, make sure that  remote agent version on the backup server and remote servers is the same.

The latest version of remote agent for BE12.5 is 12.5.2213.169 

To check the version of remote agent  browse to X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec, look for beremote.exe -> right click on it then go to properties.

teiva-boy
Level 6
I'm failing to see a problem here?  I've seen lesser boxes run at 80% CPU and near 90% of it's RAM consumed for lesser #'s of jobs.  And I've seen over 50 simultaneous jobs on a single media server too.

6 running backup to disk jobs, 1 verify job, you have McAfee installed, is SQL on this box as well?

There are so many variables at play here.  Some things to look into:
disk array config (RAID 5 or RAID anything means nothing, it's the underlying hardware, firmware, drivers, and how it was setup)
Ethernet cards and drivers (TCP offload, jumbo frames, etc)
SQL sucking up system resources
McAfee set to scan BackupExec directories and/or B2D folders.  <-pretty common issue.