cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R1 to R3 upgrade

Delta_KRK
Level 2

I have to upgrade BE 2010 R1 to BE 2010 R3, and I have a few question :)
Sever : 2008 r2 std,
Agents : 2008, 2008 r2, 2003 r2, 2003

1. Reboot is required on servers or not ?
2. What about agents? Do we need restart?
3. How to check if aofo is installed ?

Thanks a lot for Your help :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

That's right as AOFO  (vsp.sys) is not installed & hence, no reboot required.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6

Post upgrade, a reboot is required, however it's not a forced reboot. If the agents will installed with AOFO, then a reboot is required else not. AOFO here refers to a Symantec driver (vsp.sys). If this is present (would be in older OSes such as Windows 2000, maybe Windows 2003), then its a confirmation that AOFO is installed.

Delta_KRK
Level 2

Thank for a quick answer :)

AOFO - how can I check this on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 ? I installed agent and AOFO on new\clean W2k8 R2 and I  can't find VSP.SYS or any signs of AOFO :\

I have to be sure, which servers I  need to restart :)

VJware
Level 6

Windows 2008 & above does not require the AOFO option to be installed since they use Microsoft VSS by default.

Older OS such as Windows 2000 did not have Microsoft VSS, so we introduced vsp.sys. In Windows 2003, the option was given to install vsp.sys so that one may opt to use the Symantec VSS instead of Windows VSS, however this does not apply to newer OSes such as Windows 2008 and above.

Delta_KRK
Level 2

As I understand:  on W2k8 and above AOFO is not required and we don't need restart agents servers after upgrade BE 2010 R1  to R3 (because there is not AOFO but VSS) ?

VJware
Level 6

That's right as AOFO  (vsp.sys) is not installed & hence, no reboot required.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should always reboot your servers after an upgrade.  There might be files which are held by some processes during the upgrade and they are not replaced until a reboot is done.