cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R2 Device properties

JDR1990
Level 4

Hi,

I have just installed the above product onto server and was having issues with running backups initially. The job would run part of the way through and then give the error  "Storage device External LTO 4 reported an error on a request to read from the media".

I then managed to find a thread from back in 2010 related to this and it advised to ensure that Read single block mode and Read SCSI pass through mode were not selected in the device properties. I changed these options accordingly and both jobs seem to be running fine however I have been asked to find out if there could be any implications with not having these options selected, and also what exactly they mean.

I would be greatful for any feedback on this.

Regards

Leon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Nope, I don't think so. Check to see if you have any hardware-related errors. If you have a server like HP/Dell/IBM etc, they will have a hardware monitoring platform that you can check out.

You should also make sure that if the server is an HP server for instance, that the HP Storage Agents are disabled.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

CraigV

Hi Leon,

To be honest, I removed that from a number of my sites with absolutely no adverse effect. I was able to backup and restore. Check the TN for more details on what those 2 settings are, but a test restore will always confirm your backups are working.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH91959

Thanks!

JDR1990
Level 4

thanks Craig,

I will carry out a test restore shortly. I already have the technote open however the details in it are not something I am familiar with I will seek further advice from my colleagues.

Regards

Leon

JDR1990
Level 4

Craig,

I have now started to receive an error message stating that "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. This error signifies controller errors. These errors are generally caused by hardware that is not functioning correctly. To resolve these errors, try the following actions: 

-slow the SCSI bus

-Verify that the latest SCSI drivers and firmware are loaded.

If these errors continue contact the hardware manafacturer."

Would you have any suggestions for this? - Do you think it may be due to the change of settings that was made?

Regards

Leon

CraigV

Nope, I don't think so. Check to see if you have any hardware-related errors. If you have a server like HP/Dell/IBM etc, they will have a hardware monitoring platform that you can check out.

You should also make sure that if the server is an HP server for instance, that the HP Storage Agents are disabled.

JDR1990
Level 4

Just tried to re run a job now and it has failed stating that a device attached to the system is not functioning. Will now stop the HP Insight storage agent service and then try to run the job again. 

JDR1990
Level 4

Job appears to have completed so maybe your advice on the HP storage agent has helped. Many thanks

CraigV

...for some reason the agent constantly polls the bus to the point that it causes time-outs and performance hits...

JDR1990
Level 4

Hi Craig,

I am receiving the same error again. The HP Insight storage utility service is stopped and I have checked on the hardware monitoring platform and there appears to be no issues. Is there anything else you can suggest?

Regards

Leon

CraigV

...you might want to look at upgrading the firmware on the tape library and the SCSI card. Restart the library & server, and check again.

JDR1990
Level 4

Many thanks i will look into that. Also I have just realised that I have not installed any updates as of yet because I have had issues with downloading them. Do you think that this may be causing the issue?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What HBA are you using?

Make sure the HBA firmware and driver are the latest versions.

JDR1990
Level 4

Hi Larry,

Please advise what HBA means I do not understand.

regards

Leon

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

HBA = Host Bus Adapter... aka your SCSI card, your Fibre Channel card, your SAS card

BE doesn't support most RAID HBA's for use with tape, so if it a RAID card, make sure it is listed here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70907

JDR1990
Level 4

Many thanks for the advice - as you can tell im not server trained! I belive the SCSI card is a LSI Adapter. Ultra SCSI 2000 series, w/1020/1030 also there is a HP Smart Array P410i controller.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What is your tape hardware?  stand alone tape drives?  a library/robot?  what interface?

I think the LSI & the HP are OK, but make sure they are up to date on firmware and drivers.