Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3 on 2 media servers, Remote Agent push for duplication

sezicoolcat
Level 3

Here's the scenario:

I have 2x BE 2010 R3 Media Servers.

One, called BACKUP which backs up all the data daily to disk.

O/S Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1

BE 2010 R3 - when I run LiveUpdate there is nothing to update, so I assume patched.

Another Media Server called BK1, which once a week, remotely backs up all the BACKUP servers to-disk backups, on to tape.

O/S of BK1 is Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard, SP2

BE 2010 R3 - when I run LiveUpdate there is nothing to update, so I assume patched.

They are both on the same domain.

My problem is this. Backups have recently started failing. So the first thing I always do with failures, is to perform a LiveUpdate. (nothing to update, which is fine). Then I push remote agents out ("Install Agents and Media Servers on Other Servers" - because I want to check for updates to the Remote Agent.

My problem is this:

When I remote push the agent from Media Server BK1 (the one that does a weekly backup to tape of the daily to disk backups) to Media Server BACKUP (the one that does the daily disk backups) it reports this error:

"Install has detected a previous version of Backup Exec on BACKUP. In order to install Remote Agent for Windows Systems (Version 2010) on BACKUP, please uninstall the previous vrsion of Backup Exec and run the setup again."

I hope you appreciate, that the server BACKUP is doing its job which is backing up data daily. I don't wish to uninstall it - it is meant to be there.

I have tried searching through this forum for this specific fault, but either it is unique, or my method on searching criteria is wrong.

Please can anyone come up with any ideas?

Many thansk,

Sarah 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sezicoolcat
Level 3

ok, thank you very much for your help.

I can't mark anything as a solution as it appears I cannot perform the strategy that I have inherited.

But will have to rethink the way we backup entirely.

Many thanks,

Sarah

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Sarah,

Check the link below and download BE 2010 R3 SP3 manually. Install on both media servers:

http://buex.ec/2010SP3

Then try your push-install of these agents from the media server backing up the rest...

Thanks!

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello Sarah,

With what I understood, you have two Backup Exec servers (BACKUP and BK1). You are trying to push out the remote agent from BK1 to BACKUP. 
Well, both are Backup Exec Servers and as such, you do not need to push out remote agent (whatsoever) specifically to it. 

The only thing you need to ensure is that both the servers are at the same level (which you have already confirmed by running Live Updates on both the servers). 

Could you please let me know the error message that you receive while running the backup job? 

sezicoolcat
Level 3

Thank you for the replies.

This is the error we get (this is a recent error - has been fine for months)

Job Completion Status:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe36 - Corrupt data encountered. See the job log for details.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65078

Errors:

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- \\BACKUP.rjnt5.internal\G:
Directory Data Weekly\ was not found, or could not be accessed. None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up. V-79-57344-33967 - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed. V-79-57344-65033 - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \Exchange_Weekly and its subdirector...

Odd, really, because Data Weekly directory is there on the G: drive of server BACKUP (contents include the Folder.cfg; the .bkf files of the backups taken, and the changer.cfg file)

Sarah

sezicoolcat
Level 3

CraigV - I will try this.

sezicoolcat
Level 3

Guys - just realised something - the BK1 Media Server (the one doing the backup to tape) is BE 2010 R3 - 32bit

The Media Server BACKUP (the one doing the backup to disk) is 64bit.

I bet thats the answer. The 32-bit version cannot backup the 64-bit version...

S

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Sarah,

The backup should work without any issues. Could you please let us know the error message received while running the backup job? 

sezicoolcat
Level 3

Hi sidd3309,

I have posted the error recieved twice, as the 1st one did not appear in the thread. But I noticed when re-posting the errors recieved from the job log, that it is waiting approval, so I guess it will appear (twice) once the admins have approved my post containing the error log.

Sarah

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

You should be able to post without the requirement of any approval as such. I'll confirm/check it with the Admins. 
In the mean time, will it possible to just copy and paste the error message(as plain text)? 

sezicoolcat
Level 3

Ok, instead of copy and paste (which may need approval), I will type out the errors recieved:

On BK1 media server, the job completes as a failure status.

In the Job Log we find thus:

Job Completion status:

Completed status: Failed

Final error: 0xe000fe36 - Corrupt data encountered. See the job log for details.

Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65078

(this takes one to URL: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&startover=y&question_box=V-79-57344-65078)

Errors:

Directory Data Weekly\ was not found, or could not be accessed.

None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up.

V-79-57344-33967 - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.

V-79-57344-65033 - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \Exchange_Weekly and it subdirectories. (then makes a suggstion to edit job selections and remove it)

Exceptions:

WARNING: \\BACKUP.rjnt5.internal\G:\Data Weekly\B2D000486.bkf is a corrupt file. this file cannot verify.

Unable to open the item \\BACKUP.rjnt5.internal\G:\Data Weekly\B2D000489.bkf - skipped.

(I am not going to list all of these .bkf files - you get the gist of it)

Backup

V-79-57344-34108 - An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly synchronised with the original volumes.

Sarah

sezicoolcat
Level 3

\Exchange_Weekly

and

\Data Weekly

directories exists on server BACKUP - each contains Changer.cfg; Folder.cfg and the .bkf files from the B2D job that server BACKUP runs (as one would expect).

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Sarah, 

In the backup job settings, could you please check if the Advanced Open File Option(AOFO) is selected? If yes, then please select the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service and under that, the Snapshot Provider to be selected is 'System-Use Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider'. 

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Disable b2d folder in backup exec created pointing to \Exchange_Weekly and \Data and than retry with the backup job....

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Please do not backup Disk Storage (B2D data) directly withouth understainding the implications and problems you may have. Please see this document http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176061 for more info

If you are cross backing up media servers to another media server for DR purposes then you should probably be looking into Deduplication on both media servers with Optimized Duplication between them (which needs a CASO/ESO  confguration)

sezicoolcat
Level 3

sidd3009 - yes, Use Advanced Open File Option is ticked.

Radio button on "Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy service (Windows 2003 and later) "

and Snapshot provider selected from teh drop down menu is

"System - Use Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider"

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Op is trying to backup a b2d to another backup exec server as colin mentioned in above post we donot suggest you to backup bkf files to tape or disk rather we suggest you to duplicate data...because if you backup bkf files backup exec does not knw what exactly is there in those files it will just backup those files as flat files and let say if you want to restore data which is there in those bkf files and than u have to first restore bkf files and than catalog it in order to restore the content present in those files however if you duplicate data you dont have to restore that files as bkf ... u just need to catalog it if catalogs are truncated and than restore the actual file which you need....

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Sarah,

Mus and Colin are absolutely right. I was focusing more on getting a solution to error message received rather than looking at your backup strategy. Based on Colin’s suggestion, you need to look into the right way of performing a backup of the BACKUP server from BK1 which may need a CAS(Central Administration Server Option) or a ESO(Enterprise Server Option). 

For more details please refer to the following links: 

How the Central Administration Server Option (CASO) Works in Backup Exec 10.x and above.

Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Enterprise Server Option Technical Feature Brief

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...it would be CASO. Enterprise Server Option exists only in BE 2012.

Thanks!

sezicoolcat
Level 3

ok, thank you very much for your help.

I can't mark anything as a solution as it appears I cannot perform the strategy that I have inherited.

But will have to rethink the way we backup entirely.

Many thanks,

Sarah