cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010: reading data from older versions

SimonT1
Level 3
Hi All, I know from a previous post in here that Backup Exec 2010 will restore data from tapes written by older versions, with some reservations. I'd just like to confirm it for our use case. The data was written by Backup Exec 10d and is just file backups which can be restored to any location. The data was backed up from Windows Server 2003 and will be restored to Windows Server 2008. Is this definitley possible? Are there any known issues with doing this? Also can tapes written by Backup Exec 10d be read by anything else? Cheers Simon
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Simon,

If you go according to the Backup Exec 2010 SCL below, it supports right down to 9.1.

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/329254.pdf

A normal file restore would be possible from Windows Server 2003 --> 2008, but your file/folder permissions won't carry through unless you look at exporting your file shares from the registry of the 2003 server, and then importing into the 2008 server.

Laters!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Hi Simon,

If you go according to the Backup Exec 2010 SCL below, it supports right down to 9.1.

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/329254.pdf

A normal file restore would be possible from Windows Server 2003 --> 2008, but your file/folder permissions won't carry through unless you look at exporting your file shares from the registry of the 2003 server, and then importing into the 2008 server.

Laters!

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Also can tapes written by Backup Exec 10d be read by anything else?

Backup Exec writes in the Microsoft Tape Format so any other Backup Software that reads it should be able to read the tape but can't guarantee.

Also make sure you run the inventory and catalog before trying to restore anything from the other version of BE.

SimonT1
Level 3
Thanks for the replys CraigV & sazz. Good to know.

Are you using BE 2010? What are your thoughts on it?

Cheers
Simon.

CraigV
Well, from my side I like it. Got no real hassles. It has given me a couple of niggles since the upgrade, but some of these have been OS-related (like VSS patches).
I did have a major issue upgrading, where I lost all my data on 3 servers. I hadn't backed up the Catalogs and Data folders...wrote an article on that for others to check out, and haven't had those issues again!