cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 with Symantec Endpoint backing up Exchange 2007 over LAN

George_K
Not applicable

I have a problem with Endpoint 11.0.5 interfering with my Backup Exec job of the Exchange Information store and log files. The configuration is:

Windows 2003 Server with Endpoint 11.0.5 and Backup Exec 2010

Windows 2008 Server with Exchange 2007 (no endpoint)

I have the Windows 2003 server backing up the Exchange server over the network but Endpoint, on the 2003 server running the backup, is trying to scan and clean the Exchange related files as they're being transferred to the backup drive.

For now, I have excluded the backup destination from being scanned. I've tried to find any info related to this configuration but unfortunately I've had no luck. If I had everything on one box, such as in Small Business Server, I could easily modify the config to suit my purpose but I can't see any options that would allow me to easily limit Endpoint scanning files during the backup.

Thanks,

George.

2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6

There are specific technotes on what needs to be excluded on SEP when backup exec is installed.  Search the KB for more info.

As for SEP, it's supposed to create exclusions for Exchange automatically, but you should very those in the registry of the client.  

This is a very workable solution, you just need to research a little more in the Symantec KB for the right technotes.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi George K,

The endpoint will try to scan what you have on the computer. If your backups are going to the disk then you have to exclude that folder from endpoint where the backups are going. Also exclude the preocesses lberemote.exe,beserver.exec, backupexec.exe,beengine.exe.

Also this is been resolved in the latest Endpoint as per

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007121216360648

Also if that doesn't do it then

You can configure Symantec endpoint scan frequency to match your needs. For example: if you run a backup job during the night and the Symantec endpoint scan can stop the process - you can just "tell" the Symantec  endpoint to stop scanning in the night when the backup takes place.
Follow this procedure:

1. Open the Symantec endpoint protection client.
2. Go to > change settings.
3. Press "configure settings" under "Proactive threat protection".
4. Under "scan frequency" tab, press the "at a custom scanning frequency" and fill in the time you want.