Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 Storage offline

Ralph_Meyer
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hello All

Perhaps someone can help me. We have a Backup Exec Installation with the following problem.

Environment:

Backup Server:  HP DL380 G7 (Windows 2008 R2)  / local Storage (140 GB OS, 780GB LokalBackup Storage)

Backup Software: Backup Exec 2012

Storage : HP Lefthand P4000 Multisite Cluster (iSCSI Connection)  (StorageLUN 1.95TB)

We configured a LocalStorage of 780GB for special VM’s, and configured a 1.95TB StorageLUN on the HP Lefthand for the classical backup. Now we have the problem, that at the beginning always at 4AM the LUN (StorageLUN) goes offline. At 4AM also the Backup Exec DB Maintenance is running. We have also tired to change the DB Maintenance Time to 8AM, and after that change the LUN goes offline at 8AM. Also if we disable the DB Maintenance the LUN will be offline a couple seconds after 8AM. If we restart the BE Services, the LUN will goes online.

For BE 2012 is the LUN offline, but on the Microsoft level we are able to write files into the LUN.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards Chris

47 REPLIES 47

David_Willoughb
Level 3

Is this private fix already available? I already have an open ticket for this exact same issue.

fwolf
Level 4

Hi David,

I was told they're still working on a fix. My supportcase is still open and I was told that I will be informed if they got a solution for this problem.

Regards

Florian

Javed_Nawaz1
Level 2

Hi Ralph do you have any update on this case ?

Chris_Morf
Level 2

Hello Javed

Sorry. Still the same problem. We are restarting every day after the DB Maintenance all backup exec services

and we are in the process to evaluate an other backup solution.

Kind regards Chris

fwolf
Level 4

Hello,

my problem was solved by symantec support with a not public hotfix. I was told they are working on a public hotfix. A date for the release doesn't exist right now.

My workaround was to schedule the database maintenance at a time slot when I was at work. I always put my B2D folders online again when database maintenance was finished.

Florian

HNeumann
Level 4

The workaround you explained is ok, but what is on weekends :( I had to dial in to put the folder back online, too...

fwolf
Level 4

I scheduled all weekend backups before the database maintenance on saturday.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Why not a scheduled Windows task to restart BE services or bring the folders online via BECMD (or whatever the CLI is)?  

fwolf
Level 4

In my case restarting the BE services could also cause the B2D folders to go offline and until now I didn't knew that it's possible to bring them online by CLI.

geldridge
Level 3

Was the "private fix" ever made public?  I've got this on 2 of my media servers and it is driving me nuts.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello there,

The fix is still Private and not made public. There is no ETA about the fix release for public at this moment. I would request you to open a Support case with Symantec to get the private fix.

Thanks,

-Sush...

geldridge
Level 3

Thanks Sush, I have opened a support case.

Chris_Morf
Level 2

Hello Geldridge

I am really interested if you will get a solution from symantec (Public or Private).
I have still the same problem since almost 4 month. My solution that I got, is to restart
every day all the BE services.

Kind regards Chris

fwolf
Level 4

Hi Chris,

please open a new request at symantec support. In my case I had to deliver some Logs and after a wile I got the not public hotfix.

The problem returns if I make any updates of Backup Exec. After updates I always have to install the Fix again.

Regards Florian

HNeumann
Level 4

Hi Chris,

fwolf is right, symantec provides a private hotfix. After patching the system you always have to apply the hotfix again. In my case symantec delivered a new pvlsvr.exe, which i have to copy to the backupe exec folder...
I wish symantec would integrate the new .exe in SP2.

Regards HNeumann

geldridge
Level 3

I was not successfull with getting support to give me the private hotfix.  It really is about time this fix was released.  Backups should be a very reliable and low maintenance activity for admins.  Not something that needs daily babysitting!  If I can't trust my software to backup and adequately cover us in a disaster I will look elsewhere, budgeting time is coming up. 

Please, don't ask me to open another case as I'm tired of all the going back and forth with support, release the hotfix already.

GeoNetGuy
Level 2

Any updates on this issue? I have similar with BE2012 attaching HP P4500 LUNS for B2D operations. B2D LUNS go off-line. Reschedule DB maintenace and then disable DB maint with no positive results.

If any one has resolved this problem I would be appreciative of an update that may help me solve this ongoing maintenance nighmare.

fwolf
Level 4

Hi GeoNetGuy,

my system is up to date but after the last hotfix installation the problem still occured. I had to use the private hotfix provided by symantec support again. So this problem isn't solved until now.

Regards
Florian

TTT
Level 4

Thanks fwolf, I'm about to set up B2D2T (currently only doing B2T with BE2012, our old BE11d is still handling B2D) on our FC SAN (Compellent Series 40).

I'm surprised this issue still exists- I ran across it doing testing back in April 2012 (same hardware, same SAN).

Good to know there's a super secret private hotfix that can solve it.  I'll let you guys know what happens to my setup.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Please refer this TECHNOTE http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189831. Hotfix 199190 was released which had the fix for this Issue but because of a beserver crash which was observed on a few setups we pulled it back. A new version of the DDI fix will be released would have the fixes which are part of HF199190 plus the code changes which caused the beserver  crash with HF199190.

Workaround can be followed in the meantime as suggested in the above article