cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 8.6 does not recocnize the "Dell PowerVault 124T Autoloader"

Richard_Bahcic
Level 2
Since now we had a Dell PowerVault 122T DLT Autoloader which where recognized as BNCHMARKVS640 Drive and Changer.

But when we attached the new LTO2-Autoloader DELL PowerVault 124T, only the Drive is shown on the Devices Tab in BackupExec.

The Changer is properly installed in the system (Windows 2000 Device Manager) and can be used by the MediaChangeService (german "Wechselmediendienst"), which reads in the barcode labels of all the LTO2-cartridges in the slots of the autoloader.

I searched for ChangerDriver-Updates, but those are only availlable for versions since BackupExec 9

Does anybody out there know what to do that BackupExec 8.6 recognizes and uses the Changer?

The ADAMM.LOG file has one line with the following text:

"Library Expansion Options: 1"

So i deinstalled the PV 122T (the elder autoloader) and hoped that now the changer can be seen, but no success.

Despite the fact that in the Registry Key HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SCSI\SCSI Port 2\Scsi Bus 0\Target ID 6\ Logical Unit ID 1 DeviceName="Changer0", in the logfile ADAMM.LOG there are the following lines:

0002:0000:0006:0000 "CERTANCEULTRIUM 2 1826", (Tape Device), "\\.\Tape0"
0002:0000:0006:0001 "DELL PV-124T 0031", (Changer Device), "; 0"

The entry for the tape is o.k., but not that for the changer!

and:

0002:0000:0006:0000 Device Name "\\.\Tape1"
Primary Inquiry "CERTANCEULTRIUM 2 1826"
Serial Number "CERTANCEULTRIUM 2 JK01M65"
Device Flags SCSI, SN(TYPE 0)
Device State 3, Online

Drive IDs 16777223, {7237DEB2-9D13-4E3E-AA82-530599D1EF87}
Drive Name "CERTANCE 1"
Drive Type 0, "Unknown"
Drive Features 0x000BEBFF
Drive Element 0, 0

0002:0000:0006:0001 Device Name "; 0"
Primary Inquiry "DELL PV-124T 0031"
Serial Number ""
Device Flags SCSI, RSM
Device State 1, Offline, ERROR = 0x00000006 (ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE)

Again, the entries for the Drive are correct, while the changer-query fails with ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE ????

What registryKeys have to be corrected, that the changer will be recognized?

Or is there a "BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall_xxxx.exe" that includes support for robotic changers for BackupExec 8.6?

Help would greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Richard
3 REPLIES 3

Jim830
Not applicable
I am having the exact same problem with my Dell PV124T & BE 8.6. I have tried enabling Multi LUN in the SCSI controller BIOS, installed Robotic Library Support in BE, latest drivers and firmware from Dell. BE sees the tape drive and can backup to it just fine but BE does not see the changer. BE does not display a Robotic Library in the Device Configuration Wizard. Windows 2000 Server sees both the drive and changer just fine. I previously was using an HP LTO1 drive (not an autoloader) with BE, it just died. I replaced it with the Dell PV. Have you had any luck with this yet?

Thanks in advance for any severely needed help

Jim

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Autoloader support for one library with one drive is free with the base serial, but the option must be selected at intstall time

Did you re-run the latest build install and selectg autoloader support?

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
Looking through the HCL for 8.6, I don't see the 124 listed, http://support.veritas.com/dsl/lists/device_ddProduct_BEWNT_media_loader_prod1_NT86.htm. I don't think it's supported.

You can always confirm whether you have installed support for the library you are attempting to use by comparing the library inquiry string, DELL PV-124T in this case, with what is in the library look-up table in the registry, HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\control\scsichanger\vsdloadtable. This table is what tells Backup Exec what library driver to load for the detected library.

Russ