Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 9.0 - Compaq SDX-500C tape drive - Not Finishing Job

CDMitchell
Level 3
Hi all,

Veritas Backup Exec 9.0 Rev 4367
Windows 2000 Server SP4  (used as a file server and print server for remote site).
AIT 50 Compaq SDX-500C SCSI tape drive.

I'm suddenly having an issue with this server completing a backup job.  I have it backing up Daily Monday through Friday doing a full back up of the hard drive, system state and utility partition.

It was running totally fine for years, with the only error being that it was trying to do the Intelligent Disaster Recovery to the A drive (which doesn't have a disk in it).  I changed that to backup somewhere else on the server and it worked fine.  I also added an exclusion to not backup *.tmp files (kept getting errors on that as well).  The job ran perfectly for 3 days.  Then things started going "hinky."

The C drive backup runs fine (according to job log),  but never gets to utility partition or system state backup.  The job just says "running" and never finishes.  I let it run for over 30 hours and it never stops.  If I try to Cancel the job, it never cancels it.  I have to stop the Backup Exec services, and sometimes restart the server.

I tried to uninstall and let Device Manager refind the driver for the Compaq tape drive.  I have restarted the server several times.  I did a "Test Run" of the job to verify that the data will fit on the tapes I'm using, and it passes.  I did an "Inventory" on the drive, and it sees the tape fine.  It's just the back up job that's failing.  Tried restarting the Backup Exec services multiple times; no dice.  Tried to delete and recreate the backup job.  Same thing. 

Any advice??  I'm thinking the hardware might be hinky or maybe the driver is corrupt.  I can't seem to find a driver on-line for that old Compaq tape drive.  Thanks in advance,

Chris
9 REPLIES 9

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
don't know if you want to take the trouble to do it, but you could upgrade to v9.1 for free and load the latest driver Pack which includes one for the SDX-500C

v9.1.4691.1 here

SP5  here

driver pack here

CDMitchell
Level 3
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the info and links.  I did indeed upgrade to 9.1 with SP5 and the driver updates.  All 3 installed without a hitch, and I see in the About screen that it says 9.1 Rev 4691, and after the 9.1 upgrade and the driver upgrade, each took me through the "device setup" and "IDR setup." 

I do not see that SP5 is installed on the About screen.  Is there a visual confirmation somewhere that SP5 and the driver files are correctly installed??  They all installed no problems, but only the 9.1 upgrade affected the About screen's info.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Only way I know to see if an SP is installed is to check the date stamps on some of the updated files (listed on the SP download page.)

Are you now able to install your tape device?

CDMitchell
Level 3
Well, when the 9.1 upgrade and the driver upgrade completed and the server restarted, it prompted me for device setup on its own.  It does an "Inventory" on the drive with no problems, so that's a good sign.

Problem is, I'm in NJ, and the server is in California, so I have to contact the on-site guy to actually put the tape in, and then just wait for the scheduled job to run tonight (server is too busy during the day to do a manual backup).  Kinda like delayed reaction server maintenance.  :o)

I'll let you know how it turns out tonight. 

CDMitchell
Level 3
Alas, no improvement with the upgrade.  Still just gets through the C drive backup and then just sits there saying "running" before getting to System State and Utility partition.  Tried to cancel job, and it said "cancel pending" and never did.  Had to stop and restart backup services to get it to stop. 

I modified the job, and changed the order of the backup selections, and made the utility partition first and C drive second, and see if that changes how it reacts.  I'll keep ya posted.  

CDMitchell
Level 3
Well, I give up.  After many trials and tribulations, it's doing exactly the same thing as when this all started (read above for the turgid tale).

I have told the on-site guy to call in a tech to find out what the "h-e-double-hockey-sticks" is going on with that drive.  I have modified every setting that I can find, and nothing had any effect. 

CDMitchell
Level 3

Solution found.  See link below. One of my coworkers (fresh pair of eyes) took a look at it, and he found it.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/255242.htm

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If v9.0.4454 fixed the problem, you would think that v9.1 with the latest SP would also fix it <shrug>

anyway, gald you found a solution

CDMitchell
Level 3
Yeah, you would think it would have.  Maybe if I did a fresh uninstall and install again, then the upgrade to 9.1, it might have made a difference. 

Like you said, *shrug*, it worked, so I'm not complaining.  I just put this in my mental rolodex, and my documentation, so I don't kill myself when this happens 2 years from now.  :o)