cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 9.1 SP4a resets hardware compression on Tandberg SLR7

Thomas_Brower
Level 3
On BE 9.1 SBS with SP4a using a Tandberg SLR7, the hardware compression bit in the drive firmware is getting reset to no compression when BE runs. The compression choice in BE is "Hardware if available - otherwise software". No compression is occuring. Also, in device properties, enable compression is selected.
11 REPLIES 11

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Where do you see the compression as none? Does the device support compression?

Refer to the following technotes for more information on this:

Backups fail to get double the amount of the native capacity recorded to a media, even when hardware compression is being utilized.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/199542

Compression Ratio does not display or displays incorrectly when using software compression.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273089

Revert in case you still have queries on this.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Thomas_Brower
Level 3
I see that there is no compression by the fact that after backing up about 20-22GB of data, BE asks for a second tape. The drive is a Tandberg SLR7 with 20GB native capacity. Also, when I query the drive with a Tandberg diagnostic, before BE runs, the compression bit is enabled. After a job runs, the compression bit is disabled. BE is turning off the hardware compression.

Thomas_Brower
Level 3
I am waiting for a response

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Have you tried using on Software compression and checked the results ?

If not then please do so and check the results.

Also, we would like to know what types of files you are backing up ?

Does the drive Tandberg support hardware compression ?

Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What does any of that have to do with the fact that the maufacturer's configuration utility shows hardware compression "OFF" after a BackupExec "Hardware Only" job has run?

Thomas_Brower
Level 3
Read my post, YES the drive supports compression. BE is turning it off. Are you actually thinking about this problem or just going down a pre-scripted fault tree? Please put some thought into this problem. It is obvious that tgere is a software or configuration issue since other people in this discussion group are having similar problems.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

To isolate the issue please try taking backup using NT backup to check whether hardware compression resets.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Thomas_Brower
Level 3
I have tried that and it does not reset.

This drive worked for 2 years until I had a drive failure. As part of that troubleshooting, I downloaded the service pack from Veritas. After replacing the drive, I now have this problem. By the way, this is the second replacement drive. I first thought the compressino bit being off was a drive problem so I replaced it.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Have you tried to backup using the OEM drivers? Are there any tools from Tandberg which could help you diagnose the device for any compression related issues? We are presuming that you are backing up compressable data like text files etc.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Thomas_Brower
Level 3
1. I have not tried with the Tandberg drivers because in the past, Veritas always insisted that we use the Veritas drivers.
2. The data beibg backed up is a mixture of Word, Excell, Accounting and Quark files.
3. I have used the Tandberg tools to run drive diagnostics. Also, they are what allows me to see the Hardware Compression bit that is ON before I run a job and OFF after the job runs.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Well for test purposes we suggested you to install the OEM drivers and enable the removable storage service.

Also before installing the OEM drivers, check if the RSM (removable storage mgmt service) is running while the veritas device drivers are running? If yes, disable and run a backup of just simple text files for test purpose.

We would also like to know if you receive any kind of errors in the system as well as application event logs?

Regards,
Ashutosh