cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE Hyper V and VHD question

SunScott
Not applicable
Quick background
One Hypver V host, three guest OS of various flavors of server 2003.
Host has backup exec remote agent, no antivirus, does have acronis true image
Guests all have mcafee, BE remote agent and acronis.
All servers have plenty of disk space and ram allocated.  The guests were all phsycial servers that were cloned using acronis, transformed into  VHDs and booted.

No backup times or clone times are overlapping that I can see. 
One server AV has never given me any trouble, it's been virtual the longest.
Our intranet server WEB has done this a few times, it's been virtual the second longest.
Our Apps sever does this pretty regularly and hasn't been virtual very long at all.

I'll try to log into the guest server and it's not really frozen but I can't get in.  It will only give me a blank desktop.  If I ping the server by name or ip it answers.  If i remote or locally try to log in it just gives me blank desktop.  start run \\servername does NOT work but I can still browse our intranet site, click links etc.  The Apps server continues to dish out info.

Typically this occurs at night which got me wondering if perhaps the backups were somehow messing it up.  I our backup server backs up all four of those servers individually one at a time.  I do NOT have the VHDs selected as part of the backup.

Any thoughts?  I opened a case with microsoft the other day and are awaiting some analysis from logs.
2 REPLIES 2

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

When you get this issue , see in backup exec Job montior which server the current server si backing up ,
This way you can know is the issue happening, is the issue causing on the that server when you have the backup running on that server ....

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Or you can try to run a backup of that that Vm and see if you are able to connect . that will tell us if the issue is caused by backup exec or is there some other application causing this issue ..