cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE SQL Agent was not used to create the last backup......

Stephen_Whitake
Level 3
Trying to do differential backups on the Backup Exec 12 BEDB and I'm getting this error:

V-79-57344-33938 - An error occurred on a query to database BEDB.
V-79-57344-33938 - The Backup Exec SQL Agent was not used to create the last full backup of this database. You must use the SQL Agent to run a full backup before you run a differential backup or transaction log backup.

I had a similar problem on other SQL tables, but after stopping the internal SQL differential backups, it was fixed.

But now with Backup Exec's SQL table, there isn't any enterprise manager or anything. Just some config file that has nothing about internal backups...

What is archiving my BEDB that isn't BE???

Any advice on what it is, and how I can stop it???
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Did you know that every night at 0400, by default, Backup Exec creats a BEDB.BAK file in the ..\BackupExec\Data folder?

You can use this to restore the catalog to any given date using the BEUTIL "recover database" function

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 06-13-2008 01:25 PM

Stephen_Whitake
Level 3
Are you saying that you shouldn't backup the SQL table on the media server because it is being backed up already??? If I wanted to use SQL Agent, I need to stop the database maintenence?

Sorry, but your response was very vague and frustrating...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sorry - it's been a looooong day

the prefered method of recovering a BEDB database is to use the BAK files that BackupExec creates every night, along with BEUTIL

I've never heard of anyone using a SQL Agent to back it up, but that doesn't mean no one has gotten it to work.

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 06-13-2008 03:21 PM

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
As Ken says, let BE do its own database backups, and don't use the SQL agent for it. If you do a disaster recovery BE will look for a BEDB.BAK file at startup, so it takes care of itself (and saves you the cost of an SQL agent license).

Stephen_Whitake
Level 3
Alright, will do.

I've been doing backups using SQL agent for the past year on it. Just finally started dabbing into differentials of SQL tables. Easier just to back up the .bak file.

Thanks!