cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE assigns good tapes to Retired Media

Brian_Welch_3
Level 2
I'm running BE 9.1 attached to an STK 9714 tape library. have Windows 2k SP4 on the server. This just started recently, but the tapes I have in the library are being automatically assigned to Retired Media. It doesn't matter what group the tape is in, Scratch/Full/Differential. It seems that about half the time BE tries to write to a tape, it ends up assigning it to Retired Media.

I can delete the Retired Media, then do a Scan on the slots containing the tapes and they will show up appropriately as Scratch/Full/Diff, but then some of those tapes will get thrown back into Retired Media again.

Under what circumstances does BE automatically assign tapes to Retired Media?
4 REPLIES 4

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
media that is defective or has too many read/write errors are moved to the retired media set. Also refer to the foll:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Brian_Welch_3
Level 2
I have forced a clean on all the drives and done a cold boot of the STK, but still getting the problem.

Tapes report no hard write errors. Given the symptoms, I'm suspecting the drives or the STK rather than Backup Exec itself. Still looking for a root cause or even a workaround.

Donald_Rumsfeld
Not applicable
Hi Brian, We're having exactly the same issue, running Win2K3, BE10 and ADIC1000 libraries. One thing I've noticed, is that the library imports the media into a vacant slot, doesn't even READ the media, and then reports it as "retired".
So any CRC errors that may or may not exist have not even been checked before this media is retired. It's happening in 2 different libraries which combined have around 40 different drives to choose from.

A quick erase sometimes works as well. I've spent a good few hours trawling this site trying to find an answer to this. I'll keep an eye on this post, and if I find anything out, I'll put an update here.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
hello,
Please update the drivers and firmaware.ensure that you are not using RAID drivers.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.