cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE auditing

RodgerH
Level 3
Hi All,
I have been tasked with carrying out an audit on our Server estate (350 + Windows Servers), trying to establish if and where they back up to. (Don't ask, just been through painful merger process and inherited a load of kit we need to support).
Anyhow, what I would like to know is; is there a way of telling where a server backs up to, just by looking through the file structure; log files, set up files etc.?
We have servers that have Remote Agent installed, but I need to know where that agent points to. Is this possible?

Rodger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shirmal
Level 5
hi rodger,

Depending on the version of BE and how things were installed.  On the remote agent server you can lauch \program files\symantec\backup exec\raws\vxmon.exe (BE 11d and 12) and the publishing tab should tell you what media server the agent is publishing to. This really tell you what media server is backing up the remote agent server.  The agent could have been pushed from mediaserverA with the option to publish to mediaservera but in reality the remote server could be protected by mediaserverb or changed down the road.
Only way is to look at the job logs on your media server or selection lists that are in use.  There are a few reports on the REPORTS tab on each media server that could help out.

Hope this helps

---Cheers

shirmal

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
In the Management Console of Backup Exec (on the server), you could have a look at the selection lists, which will give you the servers that are being backed up with it and then check the policies, which use the selection list, which will give you the device they are being backed up to.

In my opiion this would be an easy way to solve the task to check which resource gets backed up to which location.

best regards

Dominik

shirmal
Level 5
hi rodger,

Depending on the version of BE and how things were installed.  On the remote agent server you can lauch \program files\symantec\backup exec\raws\vxmon.exe (BE 11d and 12) and the publishing tab should tell you what media server the agent is publishing to. This really tell you what media server is backing up the remote agent server.  The agent could have been pushed from mediaserverA with the option to publish to mediaservera but in reality the remote server could be protected by mediaserverb or changed down the road.
Only way is to look at the job logs on your media server or selection lists that are in use.  There are a few reports on the REPORTS tab on each media server that could help out.

Hope this helps

---Cheers

shirmal