cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE erroneously wants overwritable media

Del_Lee
Level 3
I have a daily backup job created by the media rotation wizard. The job properties are set to "append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available." The tape has only been written to once and has plenty of room for several more daily backups. When the backup job starts, the tape is ejected and an alert states that "Media 'daily' is currently allocated and is not available for overwrite operations." The media set properties are 4 weeks for overwite protection and 6 days for append period. We are well within the 6 day period for allowable appends.

So, any idea as to why BE wants to overwrite the tape?

Thanks,

Del
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
This is the same job that runs daily, not different jobs?

if the media set of a mounted tape volume is different than the media set called for by a job, BackupExec cannot append (different media sets) so it will ask for a scratch/overwritable tape

Del_Lee
Level 3
>>This is the same job that runs daily, not different jobs?

Yes, this is the same job.

>>if the media set of a mounted tape volume is different than the media set called for by a job, BackupExec cannot append

This is same media set used by the first (successful) job already on the tape.

I've discovered and applied SP1, but it corrupted the database. In short, I've had to remove and reinstall BE. Now I'm starting all over again.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know whether after reinstalling Backup Exec whether the problem persists

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.Message was edited by:
sharvari

Del_Lee
Level 3
The problem no longer exists after installing service pack 1.