cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE inventory on tape drive LTO 3

Selvum
Level 3

Hi.

I have a Dell tape drive Ultrium LTO 3. When I run the inventory from BE, it tries to run and then the job status says "communication stalled". After a while the inventory job fails with the following error message "The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding".

What is strange is the the backup jobs to tape runs successfully.

Please assist.

Thanks

Selvum Moodley

16 REPLIES 16

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Stop the BE services, and get hold of the diagnostic tool for your tape drive. Make sure you have no hardware issues with the drive.

You can also check and make sure that the RSM service has been stopped if running Windows Server 2003 as this causes issues with BE and controlling the drive.

Finally...make sure that BE is fully patched and that you're using the latest BE drivers for the drive.

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Selvun,

You may want to refer to the following technotes depending on the version of Backup Exec that you are using.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63380 : The Utility jobs in Backup Exec will not run until the server is paused/unpaused in the Backup Exec console.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75749 : Inventory or Erase jobs run for 15 minutes and fail with "The Backup Exec Job Engine system service is not responding."

Regards,

-Sush...

Moe_Howard
Level 4

The first Technote is for a media changer and you have a stand-alone tape drive. The unlock command mentioned by the Technote does not apply to stand-alone tape drives.

The second Technote mentions certains tape drives that do not have an auto-eject method. This would be applicable to your situation if you were running a DLT8000 tape drive or lower model. You have an LTO which will automatically eject the media when an UNLOAD command is sent to it.

Prior to running an inventory of the drive, start the Backup Exec tracer.exe utility. There is a green start button on top of the tool's UI...press it to start tracing. Run the inventory job and wait for the problem to occur. When/if it does stop the trace and save the output to a text file.

Post it to this thread.

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi Selvum

Stop the BE services and Restart your Libarary, Once it's online Start the BE services and do the Inventry. It should work...

Selvum
Level 3

Hi Moe.

Thanks for trying to assist me. I have followed your instructions........see attachment "test.txt".

The following screen shots are the events of what happens from the time I start the inventory till the error occurs........see file attachments.

Thanks

Selvum

CraigV

...try removing the drive completely from Windows and BE before disconnecting it. Restart the server, then shut it donw once you verify the drive does not show in Device Manager. Once done, reconnect the drive and start it up. Once initialised, start up the server and then install tapeinst.exe to install the Symantec drivers.

Also make sure that BE is fully patched with the latest service pack for BE 12.5, and any subsequent patches. Push-install these to any remote servers for good measure.

Thanks!

Moe_Howard
Level 4

The previous attachment contained garbled characters and sporadic text. Try tracing the activity again but save the output as a .bin file instead. At the top of the tracer.exe tool, there is a diskette icon. Click it to save the output in a .bin format.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Selvum,

As you are using BE 12 did you refer to the following tehcnote...??

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75749

Regards,

-Sush...

Selvum
Level 3

Hi Sush.

I have looked at this technote and also tried this hotfix............does not solve my problem.

Regards

Selvum

CraigV

...have you tried 1 of these:

1. Open up BEutility.exe and then run a comprehensive repair of the BEDB using the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67239

2. Run a repair of BE using Add/Remove Programs. If these don't work, then I would suggest that you log a call directly with Symantec support in order to get this sorted out. If you do get a solution, then post back here & close the thread.

Thanks!

Moe_Howard
Level 4

Selvum,

Please try again to capture a trace of an inventory on the drive and attach the output in your next reply.

I've reposted my previous instructions for your convenience:

Prior to running an inventory of the drive, start the Backup Exec tracer.exe utility. There is a green start button on top of the tool's UI...press it to start tracing. Run the inventory job and wait for the problem to occur. When/if it does stop the trace and save the output to a text file.

Thank you

Selvum
Level 3

Hi Guys.

My problems get worst..........now on BE, under devices the system shows that the LTO 3 tape drive is in use. There's no tape in drive and even if I switch the tape drive off , BE still shows that the tape drive is in use. I tried rebooting the server and switching tape drive on and off.........no joy. 

When I insert a tape. in Job Monitor the status shows "Ready;No idle devices are available".

Please assist.

Many Thanks

Selvum Moodley

CraigV

Hi Selvum,

Open up BE and go to the Devices tab...right-click your server name and choose the option to Pause the server.

Restart the BE services, and then right-click your server's name again...choose the option to Unpause it.

Thanks!

Selvum
Level 3

Hi Craig. 

Followed your instructions as suggested and the system still shows tape drive in use.

Please help.

Regards

Selvum

CraigV

...did you try removing the drive completely as per 1 of my suggestions above?

THanks!

Selvum
Level 3

Hi Craig.

Complete removal of drive as suggested is my next move..........I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Selvum