cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE12 - remove media sets and the media tape associate

crocs
Level 4

hi,

if i remove a media sets, the tape associate , how i put them to symantec ? without erase the tape ? and without associate another media sets?

Right over the tape -> scratch ?

thx :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The document below will tell you how BE select tapes to overwrite.  

How Backup Exec searches for overwritable media

Depending on your setting, it may or may not take tapes from the scratch data set.  If you go to Tools ---> Options --->  Media Management and choose "Overwrite recyclable media contained in the targeted media set before overwriting scratch media.", then BE will overwrite recyclable media in the targeted media set before it takes a tape from the scratch data set.

Once the job writes to the tape, it will associate it with the media set that is targetted by the job.   This is done automatically.  However, when a tape expires, i.e. becomes overwritable, it will remain in the dataset that it is associated with.  If you want to scratch it, then you would have to manuall associate it with the scratch media set.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

What are you trying to achieve?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

if i remove a media sets, the tape associate

For removing the association between a media and the media set it belongs to, either you have to associate it with another media set or erase it. When you perform erase operation, media will be assigned to SCRATCH mediaset automatically.

without erase the tape ? and without associate another media sets?

If you want to move a media from one media set to another media set without using the above options, it seems impossible to me.

crocs
Level 4

Not associate a tape at any media sets.

So that the system will automatically take.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Right click on the tape and click on associate with media set and select scratch media set.

Above procedure is to move a media already associated with a media set to scratch media set. Beware that when you associate a media with scrath media set it will become overwritable and any data on that will not be available for restores once overwritten.

New, blank and erased medias will be automatically associated with scratch media set.

crocs
Level 4
Then necessarily a tape is associated a media sets.

If I do a fresh install ( tape library - 20 lto4 ), no tape is associated with a media sets and when i create a media sets the system in automatic associate a tape with media sets ( if i don't associate manualy ).

if i upgrade BE2010 to BE2012 with existing configuration, I want to return to this situation without associate any tape a media sets so as to do manage to symantec.

Sorry for my english!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Then necessarily a tape is associated a media sets.

Yes.

I want to return to this situation without associate any tape a media sets so as to do manage to symantec.

Associate all the medias with SCRATCH media set. BE will pick the tapes from there and move to other media sets as and when required. 

If I do a fresh install ( tape library - 20 lto4 ), no tape is associated with a media sets

With fresh install also, tapes will be added automatically to scratch media set upon performing inventory. 

crocs
Level 4

Associate all the medias with SCRATCH media set. BE will pick the tapes from there and move to other media sets as and when required.

Perfect! but when BE will pick the tapes from there ( screath media ) , deletes the data that you know?

Because if delete the data , i must immediately associate it to the media sets!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The document below will tell you how BE select tapes to overwrite.  

How Backup Exec searches for overwritable media

Depending on your setting, it may or may not take tapes from the scratch data set.  If you go to Tools ---> Options --->  Media Management and choose "Overwrite recyclable media contained in the targeted media set before overwriting scratch media.", then BE will overwrite recyclable media in the targeted media set before it takes a tape from the scratch data set.

Once the job writes to the tape, it will associate it with the media set that is targetted by the job.   This is done automatically.  However, when a tape expires, i.e. becomes overwritable, it will remain in the dataset that it is associated with.  If you want to scratch it, then you would have to manuall associate it with the scratch media set.

crocs
Level 4

Thanks to all!!