cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE16: Backup of VM's (hyperV and svcmm 2016) stuck at 0 Bytes

JonSchne
Level 2

Hello there!

We're running BE16.0 Rev 1142. I've created a backup job containing the backup of multiple VM's running on HyperV and SCVMM 2016. The task was running for a few weeks without any problems (only sometimes single VMs coulnd't be backup'ed). I read probably all of the "0 Byte stuck" issues here but found no solution. 

What i've tried:
I can't just delete the backup drive and create a new one. 
I've tried to create a new job
I've tried another backup drive
I've checked and changed the user running the job (even the domain admin) 

The job starts, searching for ressources, stating its preparing the (one of 5) HyperV host and tells me its preparing the snapshot and then processing the snapshot. That was it. It's then stuck at 0 Byte. I've waited for days, nothing happens.

I don't know where to look or what to do. I'm new to BE taking over from one colleauge who has no time to look into it. 

Help is really appreciated! Thanks! 

5 REPLIES 5

Ben-Veritas
Level 4
Employee

Is it a specific VM that the job is hanging on? 

If so can you try moving the VM to a different host in the cluster to see if that clears up the issue.

Thanks for the reply! 

No, it doesn't look like. I've duplicated the job and just set it to backup only one VM, that doesn't work either. 
There are no errors in either the HyperV host nor the SCVMM-Server and BE isn't throwing errors, too. 

what type of drives are you backing up to?

Can you create a job for each of the VM's to see if it's occuring for all of the 5 VMs?

There are about 60 VMs on 5 Hyper-V hosts. Not 5 VMs on one host. I've created a new job (as a duplicate of an existing which is not working) with just one VM on one host. That's not working, too. 
The Jobs get stuck at "processing snapshot", i've deactivated the advanced open file setting in the options but even with it deactivated it gets stuck at "processing snapshot", which doesn't make sense. 

Drives should be 10K SAS i guess. Need to check that. 

Sorry I must of misunderstood your previous post on the numbers.

Can you try backing up to tape instead of disk?  Just to rule that out.

Are you able to open a support ticket?  We may need to do some debugging to see where it gets stuck and that will be easier with a support ticket open.

As for the Advanced Open File option, that has nothing to do with the Hyper-V agent.  Any backup of a VM requires a snapshot taken of the VM.  That option is more for files like documents or image files, things of that nature.