cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 AOFO Initilialization error when AOFO is not used

Jamie_Kelahan
Level 3

I have a new installation of a Windows 2008 R2 server (domain controller) and with that, a new installation of Backup Exec 2010.  The only agent I have installed is the Lotus Domino agent.  All of my backup jobs are "Completed with exceptions," and looking at the job log reveals the following AOFO error:

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "E:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

V-79-10000-11226 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be started. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

In all of the jobs that are getting this error, I do not have the AOFO selected, so I don't understand why AOFO would even be attempting to initialize.  I am not attempting to backup the System State, just files stored in shared network folders:

Looking through the support docs, I understand why it is failing - I do not have Microsoft Shadow Copy turned on for the drive that is being backed up.  My question is why it is even attempting to initialize AOFO when it is not selected in the job settings?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For Windows 2008, the OS will automatically invoke VSS to handle opened file, regardless of whether AOFO is turn on or off.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

This isn't an AOFO problem; you have an issue with the VSS writers on that particular server.

If you run: vssadmin list writers - from a command prompt you will see some of your writers are failed or retrying...a server reboot normally fixes this, and if not, consider reregistering them as per the Symantec TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70486

Once done (either the reboot or VSS reregister), run the command above again and make sure all are running and stable. Try the backup again. Otherwise, as long as you aren't backing up DBs like Exchnage and SQL, turn on AOFO...

Thanks!

Jamie_Kelahan
Level 3

All VSS writers are stable.  Server has been rebooted multiple times (this has been happening for a month).

I have not re-registered them, but this all seems like a moot point - I am not using AOFO, so why is it initializing?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For Windows 2008, the OS will automatically invoke VSS to handle opened file, regardless of whether AOFO is turn on or off.

Jamie_Kelahan
Level 3

Thanks for the responses.  I set up Shadow Copy on the drive and it appears to have taken care of the issue.