cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010: Incremental vSphere Backups with AVVI AppGRT, target device Dedupe-Folder

fiNal
Level 4
Hi

I'm running BE2010 Server on a Win 2008 R2 x64 Machine (HP Proliant DL380 G6, 2.4GHz, 12GB RAM). I have a Deduplication Folder which has about 1TB of space at the moment.

If I run an Incremental Backup Job of a single Virtual Machine with either SQL-Server or Exchange Server installed, and have the VMware Application GRT on, the Incremental Job never finishes and makes BackupExec "hang". PDVFSService.exe brings 100% load to one CPU-Core, and postgres.exe produces about 50% load on a second core. All other Backup Jobs get very slow, although there is hardly any network traffic or disk usage on the Dedupe Device.

The job creates the snapshot, then backups all the data necessary. It never gets to the "Updating Catalogs" stage. The job cannot be cancelled and the Dedupe Storage is left in an "unsusable" state until the next reboot.

The job works fine if the target device is a regular Backup to Disk folder (on the same disk) or if Application GRT is disabled.

I'm assuming that this is a bug in the software and not a misconfiguration... Is anyone else having this issue?
2 REPLIES 2

Tero_Kovanen
Level 2
Partner Accredited
Hi,

There is a best practices for BE 12.5 Vmware agent http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/311683.htm

In there is a mention that you should have windows agent installed to virtual machine if you want to use GRT.

Hope that helps.

BR. Tero Kovanen

fiNal
Level 4
is anyone else having this problem? it's quite annoying.

again, set up a policy containing a vmware full and differential / incremental policy with the target device being a dedupe folder and GRT enabled. if i do so, the differential / incremental job never finishes.