cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 R2 VMWare Incremental Backup not working

steve1712
Level 4

Hello,

what could be the problem when VM incr. Backup is not working...

in Job Log there is a message that the vm couldn't backedup with incr. and fallback to full...

the German Help isn really clear in, when this should work when not....

using NBD... maybe this is the problem?? but didn't found anything

my Job is created trough a policy...

VM are get backedup over the VCenter witch is also the Backupserver !

any suggestions?

thx

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Incremental/differential backup option is available only if the virtual machine is configured with hardware version 7.

steve1712
Level 4

hi,

hw version is 7 on all Vms... allready read this  and checked it :)

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Do you have full backup template also along with incremental backup template as part of your policy?

If not, follow the procedure mentioned in the following TN. 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23043

steve1712
Level 4

Hi,

i do have a Full weekly Backuptemplate in my Policy where the incr. is located too!

but i will try to copy the predefined template from backupexec for vmware and try to backup the incremental trough this...

this will take some will to check this...

i'll be back if i have news!

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello, are you sure you have at least one full backup already complete?

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified

We've discovered that if we have vCenter and Backup Exec installed on same server, this is what happens for some reason.

If you have multiple Virtual Machines on same selection list, only first one gets backed up correctly, and rest of Virtual Machines always runs full backup.

Here's tech note which doesn't include any usefull information, but we are quite sure that this has something to do with vCenter and BE on same server.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH140486

Why we are so sure that this combination (vCenter+BE) is causing problems is that we have about 30 customers backing up VMware Virtual Machines, and only two of them are facing this problem, and they are only ones that do have vCenter and BE on same server.

And after we moved vCenter to another server, this issue was gone.