cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 breaks DHCP on Server 2k8 R2?

Steve_Bottoms
Level 3

Hi, all!  Well, I installed BackupExec for Win Servers 2010 this weekend on a Windows 2008 Server R2 (latest patches), and installed the Remote agent from that machine to another Server 2008 R2.  After everything worked fine, I came in this morning to discover that the DHCP servers running on both Server 2008 boxes were no longer giving out leases.  No errors, services were running fine, no warnings or messages in any Event logs.  In uninstalled the Remote Agent from the second machine, rebooted, and upon coming up it started giving out leases again.  I uninstalled BE2010 completely from the first server and rebooted, and now the first machine was serving DHCP leases again.  There have been no problems whatsoever with DHCP or network services on either of these machines in their lifetime.  The problems started with the installation of the software.

Has anyone seen this problem?  I've Googled and searched these forums but to no avail.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

SteveB

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Never heard of this one!surprise

I've set the Support Flag, so a Symantec Tech should be checking in shortly

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Not heard of this one either - however have just setup DHCP on a 2008 R2 server (with a 2008 non R2 DHCP client on same subnet)

DHCP is working and am in process of getting my BE 2010 R2 install files onto the system to see what happens. BTW did yiou install 2010 or 2010 R2 (Build number is 13.0.4164 for R2 version)

Colin_Weaver

OK - Can't reproduce this (with BE 2010 R2 at least) - just released my DHCP and then renewed it - got an IP adress all working fine with BE on the DHCP server.

Steve_Bottoms
Level 3

Colin, thanks for replying.  I'm not sure whether it's R2 or not; I downloaded the trial from the website to get us up and going (previous licensee of v10 & v12), so whatever is available at the download.  I only have production servers here, so I can't risk experimenting with installations and rebooting.

Colin_Weaver

I think the file name you downloaded will contain 4164 if it was the R2 version and will contain 2896 if it was the older version.

However against your issue my guess is there is soemthing else in your environment that is not present in mine that is reacting with Backup Exec to cause the problem with your DHCP. Unfortunately thsi is going ot be difficult to find - and it is understandable that you can't perform further testing in your live environment.

Just for info my tests used two VMware based virtual machines and I configured DHCP on a virtual NIC that was not passed through to my main netwiork, but had a virtual switch to allow a similar NIC in the other  system to make dhcp requests.