cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010R3: dedup, How fast is you file dedup backup jobs?

Yasar
Level 2

Hi,

I was wondering how fast your dedupe file backup jobs are?

I have running BE2010 r3 on an win2k8 r2 with both last hotfixes and my dedup file backup jobs are running for abbout 30 hours. (full backup) the average jobs rate is 500mb per minutes.

The options which I give to the job is, Client side deduplication and advanced open file option.

Is this normal?

Ofcourse I tried backupping with several options(offhost etc.) but its still backuping with the same rate.

3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6

Dedupe doesn't move any faster if that is what you were thinking.  Which goes against what all the Symantec Product Managers were saying when 2010 first came out...  Fact is, it reduces the data sent, but the RAWS agent still has to crawl the file system on each and every backup.  No time savings had.  Same goes for 2012.

Now 500MB/min is a bit low in general, but that sounds like a file based backup of small files?  Perhaps break up the job into smaller chunks?  Like instead of a 1TB job, how about 4 concurrent 250GB jobs?  Of course you need to make sure you have enough CPU to drive that.  

Yasar
Level 2

Thanks for your reply.

I know that dedupe doesn't move faster but I was wondering if the file backup job rate is normal.

it is a mix of sizes. (profiles, home directory, department directory) When I seperate the job, BE isn't smart enough to run the job sequentially. otherwise I have to make a policy for each selection and then I have to play with the starting time for each job.

Is there an option to run 3 or 4 selection list in 1 policy sequentially? Then I can do the same with exchange2010 (5 datastores with totatlly 2tb) 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  A policy can only accept one selection list at one time.  If you want to chain your jobs, you can use BEMCMD to start the next job.  See my blog below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/use-bemcmd-start-jobs