cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010R3SP3 - Remote Agent Install validation fails with Error connecting to the remote server. Ensure the server is available, has WMI enabled, and is not blocked by a firewall. 1603."

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

I'm sure it used to work because my list (under Tools > Install Agents and Media Servers on Other Servers) contains a list of servers I'm currently backing up; however, now all current existing servers in list and newly added servers displays the error:

Error connecting to the remote server. Ensure the server is available, has WMI enabled, and is not blocked by a firewall. 1603.

I think this is related to my Media server. Backups are still fine.  Checking in Event Viewer shows:

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer using any of the configured protocols.

Checking in Symantec's push logs shows:

The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

DNS resolution works fine. I get the same error using IP addresses. Firewall is disabled on both machines. I've even tried telnetting to port 135 from the media server and that connects fine.

Any suggestions? I would really prefer to not install locally as that would mean I won't be able to update my agents through the Media Server.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

EvgeniyL
Level 5

My problem was the fact that it has installed symantec endpoint protection.

After I removed symantec endpoint protection this problem is gone.

View solution in original post

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

No, they updated because they pointed to the media server. what I was saying (which is what came across in your previous post) was that doing a manual install doesn't mean you can't update remotely.

So if they worked, and don't now, what changed? Has anything changed in your environment at all? Windows patches? BE patches etc!

Thanks!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check that File and Print Sharing and Remote Registry are enabled on the remote server.  Also, make sure that the id used to do the push has complete read and write access to the remote server.

EvgeniyL
Level 5

My problem was the fact that it has installed symantec endpoint protection.

After I removed symantec endpoint protection this problem is gone.

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

ID has admin rights and I can access the computer via Windows Explorer using \\computer\c$ with no issues.

CraigV

...installing the agents locally/manually doesn't mean you can't update via the media server. This is still possible. I haven't seen anything suggesting this won't be possible. I've done it myself plenty of times and remote pushes of updates have worked.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are File and Print Sharing and Remote Registry enabled on the remote server?

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

So remote updates of agents still worked even though the remote agent installer tells you it can't connect to the server?  How were you able to update the agents then?

I wasn't really clear in my post, but the servers that were originally on my list had their agents installed remotely, but they too are now displaying the same error message of being unable to communicate.

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

That's weird. So what are you running for AV then?

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

Yes, they are.

CraigV

No, they updated because they pointed to the media server. what I was saying (which is what came across in your previous post) was that doing a manual install doesn't mean you can't update remotely.

So if they worked, and don't now, what changed? Has anything changed in your environment at all? Windows patches? BE patches etc!

Thanks!

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

Hm...only thing that changed was I installed Sophos AV.  I've removed it, but jobs are still running, so I haven't had a chance to reboot the server to see if that really addresses the issue.  I'll keep you guys posted.  I'm hoping to be able to reboot this Friday, if not Thursday.

Steve_4
Level 4

Firstly, Log on as the account which is set up to back all of these servers up to ensure you are authenticated to contact these servers via backup exec.

If this doesn't work, try restarting all services by going tools>Backup exec Services> Restart all services.

Finally, You could try a power cycle by shutting down the server, shutting down the tape library, booting up the server, booting up the tape library.

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

So, got a chance to restart the backup server (only because I added a license which stopped the BE services and forcefully cancelled out all my jobs) and the issue went away.  So it MAY have been related to the new AV...which is interesting...since it doesn't come with a firewall.  I wonder if it's stopping a process....