cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 B2D

DisasterRecover
Level 2

We just converted to BE2012, I added software data compression. The question I am having now is ...

Is the compression happening on the server being backedup or on the server containing the Backup Manager? I guess I don't really understand the work flow of BE. Any help would be appreciated.

I have several B2D folders and am trying to get backup time under control. I understand that the compression is extending the time, but I need to know which server is doing it.  Thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Software compression happens on the target server (source server). 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Software compression happens on the target server (source server). 

BanksyMJ
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Using compression may not help get you backup time under control. Certainly give it ago, but remember that compressing the files before they are sent to the Media Server does take extra time. If you are backing up a lot data that doesnt' compress well then you may end up adding additional time to the initial part of the backup process, with no additional gains of sending less data across the network.

Another option is to use De-Duplication. This only backups up blocks of data that have changed so you end up sending less data over your network and there is less data to save to your backup destination.

Hope tht helps