cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 Duplicate to tape - Incremental and Differential Backups

arielc
Level 4

I'm backing up a file server using full and incremental backups to a disk storage. The full backup is set to run every Friday evening and the incremental backup runs during Mon - Tue evenings. I have created 2 additional stages to duplicate to tape using the "Duplicate data immediately after source task completes" option. For the full backup it works fine but for the incremental backups, it just duplicates the incremental backup for that day. I thought it would duplicate all the incremental backups dating back to and including the last full backup. This is what I think I have read from the manual that it should be doing.

If my assumptions are wrong, how could I duplicate the incremantal backups everyday together with all the incremantal backups and last full backup?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Duplicating all jobs back to the last time a duplicate was run was the only option in older versions of Backup Exec when using Policy Based backups.

2012 has an option to schedule the duplicate of

- all backups (on a schudule) which should work like the 2010 version and go back to last duplicate job

- only the most recent fuill backup

- selected backups

Do you know which of these settings you used?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Duplicating all jobs back to the last time a duplicate was run was the only option in older versions of Backup Exec when using Policy Based backups.

2012 has an option to schedule the duplicate of

- all backups (on a schudule) which should work like the 2010 version and go back to last duplicate job

- only the most recent fuill backup

- selected backups

Do you know which of these settings you used?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

it just duplicates the incremental backup for that day

That's the expected behaviour... 

To my understanding it is working as expected. FULL backup set will be duplciated after the completion of FULL backup. Incremental backup set will be duplicated on monday and tuesday after the completion of incremental job.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

As you have selected the option "Duplicate data immediately after source task completes", either it is full or incremental duplicate, it will execute duplicate job immediately after full and incremental is completed on the same day. So on tuesday, duplicate of mondays incremental wont be repeated.

arielc
Level 4

I've used the "Duplicate data immediately after the source task completes". My second option is to try to use the "According to schedule" option which I know I could select those options that you've mentioned. But I wanted to avoid this option as much as possible so I dont have to create the shcedule/plan for every backup job I've set. But it seems that I might have undertand it wrong when I've read the manual.

It looks like I really have to create a schedule for all my duplicate jobs so that they won't conflict to each other's run time. This server centric way of backing up servers is really making some of the backup jobs harder to manage.

arielc
Level 4

Thanks Kiran Bandi and RahulG. I was also expecting that behavior from that duplicate job option. I was probably confused from what I read before from the SBE 2012 manual.