cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 V-Ray Edition - Is it just Marketing?

D_King
Level 2

Hi All,

I am just trying to get some clarification on the V-ray product.  From what I've been able to see it installs and looks exactly like typical BE2012.  So what exatly is V-ray?  Is it just the licensing aspect?

Am I still installing all of the windows and appliactions agent on all VMs to back them up, or is the VMware agent enough now to back up everything at a GRT level?

I feel like I am missing something, hope someone can clarify.

Thank you,

DK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver

The Backup Exec V-ray package is a licensing bundle but is otherwise Backup Exec 2012.

The term V-ray is also used as a generic term encompassing various technologies from Symantec that apply to protection of virtualized systems. As such it is also used by the NetBackup product range.

D_King
Level 2

Thank you Colin.

Just to confirm, I would be using all of the same agents and methodologies for backups (AFW on File Servers, APPDB on Exchange)?

DK

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

This blog just got published right in time to answer the questions

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/whats-included-backup-exec-v-ray-edition

Colin_Weaver

V-Ray (or the VMware Agent) uses the v-Storage API to backup the systems. The requirement to install the Agent for Windows Servers (AWS) relates to the ability of Backup Exec to perform an individiual file restore of either file or application database content (e-mails etc).

If only concerned about files and DR you do not need a remote agent license, and technically you only needs AWS installed inside the VM for the restore process.

If you have a supported application (Exchange for instance) inside the VM then the AWS software is needed inside the VM for the backup as well (although only used to gather some metadata during the backup) and then you also need the Application Agent license (at which point if you bought the V-Ray bundle then you need to check the link provided elsewhere in this thread to see what licenses are included. However if you bought a separate BE core server and VMware agent license you then need to buy the application agent license as well.