cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BERemote.exe still running after service is stopped

CSM_Administrat
Level 2
My last backup job got into a wait state near the end, where it was backing up the final remote server. It sat there for 2 days doing nothing, so I cancelled the job.

The job runs from a single server, backing up 4 other servers. On the server which wasn't responding, I stopped the BackupExec Remote Agent. However, the BEREMOTE.EXE process is still running on that machine.

I tried to kill it using the WIndows Resource Kit KILL command, but the process won't die.

This is the second time this has happened (both parts - the backup going into a wait state, and the BEREMOTE process not stopping). The first time I rebooted the server to get BEREMOTE out of memory, and the next backup worked fine, but the second backup is the one that went into the wait state.

I can't be rebooting this server every other day, and the backups are not completing properly.

How can I kill the BEREMOTE.EXE process so I can restart the service?
5 REPLIES 5

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Are you getting any error in job log?

Does the backup include exchange database of remote server?

Split the backup and create a separate job for the server in question!

Does the backup hang on a specific file? Are there any entries in event log?

Put the remote agent service in debug mode on both the servers using the following technote and check if there are any errors in that log:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/254212.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

CSM_Administrat
Level 2
There is no error in the job log. The job is listed on the Media Server as "running", and I have to cancel it, and in some cases I have to stop the BE services on the Media Server. The job log XML is unreadable, and the log is displayed as text. It ends with the server name, but doesn't have the first OFO message (either because it wasn't written to the log, or because the final log buffer was discarded when the job was cancelled.

The backup job ran successfully for weeks before this happened, with the only changes being normal changes to the files that are being backed up. I would like to resolve the issue rather than split the backup job and hope it goes away.

The OFO files are created on the remote server, and cannot be deleted, and the beremote service will not stop properly after the problem.

Are there any side effects from debug mode that would make me want to avoid it on a production server? Does it have any noticeable effect on performance?

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Are there any side effects from debug mode that would make me want to avoid it on a production server? No

Does it have any noticeable effect on performance? No

Whereas errors of beremote.exe will be getting generated in this debug log file.

We would also like to know :
1.Have you installed any BEWS 9.1 patches or service pack on media server ?

2.Have you then reinstalled Remote agent on all th remote servers?

3.Can you please check the version of the beremote.exe file on each server and update us on the same ?

4.Can you kill this service from Task Manager ?

Thank you.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

CSM_Administrat
Level 2
After having turned on debug mode, the problem has not recurred again (yet).

(1) I didn't install any patches or service packs on the media server after any of the failures.

(2) After the first failure, I had uninstalled and reinstalled the Remote Agent on the remote server. The problem recurred once after that installation. Remote Agent is installed on 3 other servers which don't have the problem.

(3) The media server is running V9.1 Rev 4691. The BERemote.exe has that same version number on both machines (it was installed on the remote machine using the remote installation from the media server).

(4) When the service gets hung, it cannot be killed from Task Manager, nor by using the Services applet, nor by using the BackupExec services facility, not by using the Windows Server Resource Kit "kill" program. The only way I've been able to kill the program is by rebooting the server (and it wasn't a clean reboot -- it hung on shutdown and I had to reset or power cycle the server).

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Please install BEWS 9.1 SP 2 on the media server and reinstall remote agent on the all remote servers.

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 - Service Pack 2

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275247.htm

Please try to backup the data and update us on the same.

Thank you.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm