cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWS 10D + NALUS Problems

David_Frandin
Level 4
We're setting up a backup server using BEWS 10D to be used to backup several Linux machines, running RHES3 and 4. We've gone thru several issues in getting the agent (NALUS) installed on our test machines, but seem to have the agent installed correctly and are able to set up backup jobs. Our first test backup job consisted of having the backup server back up itself. This worked fine. Once we got the agent working, an attempt was made to set a full backup job with a file selection list of the entire target filesystem with a verify pass following the backup. All appeared to be going well, BEWS completed the backup of approx 3.2gb, got to the very end of the verify pass and the job failed with a "e0008488 - Access is denied" error. Another job consisting of only the \bin and \usr branches of the filesystem completed 100%. Thinking that the problem might be the \dev and \proc branches, these were deselected and the full job run again. Same failure, only BE showed a slightly smaller amount of data backed up... We're using a 'beuser' account, which is a member of the 'beoper' group, which is a member of 'root'... Any ideas what we're doing wrong??

Dave Frandin
dave(dot)frandin(at)nv(dot)doe(dot)gov
7 REPLIES 7

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

The directories /etc and /proc are to be excluded. Rather , they are in the global exclusion list.

Do you find any entry of these files as being backed up in the Ralus.cfg?

For the "access is denied" error, please check port 10000 is free on media server as well as on remote linux machine .

Do revert back on this.

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Could you please update us on the issue?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

David_Frandin
Level 4
Thank you for the reply.. I verified that port 10000 was open on both machines, and since both machines (and the future server(s) we intend to backup) are the same network segment, the port problem should not be an issue. I was unable to find the ralus.cfg.. I assumed that it would be located in /opt/VRTSralus or /etc.. Found it in neither directory. After checking the above items, another attempt to backup the test machine was tried, explicitly excluding /proc and /etc... Same failure, the backup completed w/o errors, backing up over 4gb of data, then verify fails at 99% with the same error "e0008488 - Access is denied.". Please advise!

Dave Frandin
dave(dot)frandin(at)nv(dot)doe(dot)gov

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Run the sgmon before running the backup job.

How to create SGMON.LOG
<<>>

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

David_Frandin
Level 4
Ok.. Did that, got an SGMon.log, and another failure as before, with the following
job parameters:

Full backup of RHES3, excluding /etc and /proc, backup portion of
job completes fine, the verify pass appears to work fine, however, the
job fails at very end of verify with an "e0008488 - Access is denied."
The RHES3 machine is a test machine with a full install of the OS, and
approx 4.2gb is being backed up. The beuser/beoper user/group are being
used, and the credential check prior to running the job is ok.

Please advise how to attach the SGMon log....

Dave Frandin

David_Frandin
Level 4
Further update:
A bit more reading carried me to a KB article that pointed to the ralus.cfg needing an
ENCODER=LATIN1 entry to fix the access-denied error I had been getting.. What do you know? The next test run was 99.9% successful.. just a couple of open-file exceptions.. I can live with that!! It appears this issue is resolved....

Thanks a lot, guys!!!

Dave Frandin

mamnmamn
Level 2
Hi,

I have a similar issue, do you think you could explain a bit more how you fixed it.

THanks