Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK 2010 Hardware Compatability List Confusion

Thundercleese
Level 5

I was wondering if someone could help me understand the Bk2010 HCL:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/329256.htm

Latest PDF:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/329256.pdf

I'm looking at getting the Dell PowerVault TL4000 with LTO 5 media (Fibre channel interface), the problem I'm having is figuring out is how compatible it is with Backup Exec.  From what I can tell it is compatible for Windows & Linux (page 66).  It appears this tape drive doesn't support EMC NDMP, IBM NDMP, or NetApp NDMP with LTO 5 media (if I'm at all reading this correctly). 

Does this mean I cannot backup volumes of a NetApp with this device?
3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6
That means Symantec has NOT tested and verified compatibility.  Depending on your config if doing NDMP over fiber direct to tape, even your NetApp may not support it without some ONTAP upgrade.  

Doesnt matter, your filer nor your windows hosts can spit out data fast enough for LTO5.  Enjoy the shoe shine.

Thundercleese
Level 5
Okay, in worst case I would still be able to backup a NetApp volume over ethernet (assuming I have all the proper BK licenses)?

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
As "teivs" said Symantec has not tested it and that is the reason you don't see drive lto 5 with a check box checked but that doesn't mean it will not work with ndmp and emc. You can still try using them as it works for most of them, it is only that symantec doesn't provide you much support when it is not in HCL as it is not tested. You shoul be able to backup the netapp volume. Now make sure you can team couple of nic cards to utilize maximum speed of lto5. Shoe shine will not be a problem if you do the teaming of right nick with enough bandwidth