cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BKUPEXEC database instance

Steven_English
Level 3
I know the PVL.MDB was replaced with the SQL BKUPEXEC instance. Here's the question...

With the upgrade from 8.6 to 9.x do you need to purchase a SQL agent or is a single license included with 9.x?

I just realized 'the hard way' that SQL was not getting backed up on a number of my 9.x servers.
3 REPLIES 3

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Don't know about the licenses, but for disaster recovery of a SQL server you should have enough if you have the dumps and transaction logs. this way you won't need a BE SQL agent.

Regards
A van der Boom

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

You will need to upgrade the licenses. You can perform Flat file backup if you do not have licenses, which would mean stopping the services of SQL before backup.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Steven_English
Level 3
WOW - I was afraid of that. I will just add that I have alway been a proponent of Backup Exec, but how could Veritas have not embed some method of backing up its own catalog database, especially after rewiting from the .MDB format? I'm the backup administrator not a database administrator.

Amruta Purandare, please feel free to add this to the many complaints for Backup Exec - Shame on you Veritas.