cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BU Exec 10d Rev 5629 - Device & Media Service fails on startup

Janmon
Level 2
Hi:  We're running BU Exec 10d Rev 5629 on a SBS 2003 SP2 server.  Whenever the server is rebooted, the Backup Exec Device and Media Service fails to start, logging SCM Event ID 7023 in the system log.  The description states "... terminated with the following error: The database specified does not exist."  As a result, the BE Job Engine and BE Server services also fail to start.

If I then open the services mmc, however, I can manually start the service (as well as dependent BE services) without incident.  I have searched the knowledgebase and forums, without finding anything specific to this issue.  We have not changed the server name, domain name, nor system account password since installation.

Thank you for your help,  JKT
3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Give this technote a shot.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274102
Backup Exec Device and Media service fails to start with the message "Database specified does not exist."

Janmon
Level 2
Hi:

I did see that article, and I will try the steps and repost my results when I can reboot the server... but I'm doubtful this will work because the database attaches fine when I manually start the service.  Would it not *always* fail if this was indeed the problem?

- JKT

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
If it is only happening when the server is booting up, then the SQL service is not starting before the device and media service starts.  Which is what is causing the problem. Sorry if I missed that before.  I would start looking at why the SQL service is taking a long time to start on a reboot.