cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Drive not mount

soolean
Level 4

One drive of my MSL G3 Series device interrupts at startup or gets stuck in the mount phase when writing a tape, although there is no error on the web interface. There is no problem with my other drive, it does the writing process.

I have switched off the device properly, disconnected the power, checked the drive, did not see any problem and there was no improvement.

I have no problem with the programme. I think the driver will need to be changed, but can I do something first?

8 REPLIES 8

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

it is looping the mount process or just waiting for mount?

Hello.
at first it was stuck in the mount phase and would not continue the process.

Then I switched off the device regularly, removed the drive and switched it on again regularly. This time it started to mount and started to write, but the writing was stuck.

Also, when I cancelled the operation, it shows the tapes it received as faulty.

soolean_0-1697702824755.png

soolean_1-1697702889898.png

I change the location of the cassette becomes smooth in the interface

StefanosM
Level 6

try to clean the drive with a new cleaning tape three times and then retry.

I have the filling that it is a drive's hardware problem

Although I cleaned it 3 times, the programme still shows the warning that it needs to be cleaned.

The device's own web interface does not have this warning.

It is writing now but at half speed and the speed is decreasing

soolean_0-1697714481007.png

Capture.JPG

edit: 

I finished writing and immediately got the warning that you need to clean it, I have not seen this before

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

I recommend you to contact HW vendor support with this issue. HPE also has diagnostic tool for tape devices called LT&T, you can try it in advanced or you will be likely instructed by vendor support.

Regards

M.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Cleaning is requested by the drive firmware, not NetBackup.  NetBackup is only displaying the requirement.

If a drive requests cleaning immediately after being cleaned, then very simply, you have a hardware issue with the drive.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Pls check it's not a tape issues. If you have a damaged tape, then the drive reject it's and Netbackup will timeout in the mounting phase. Just freeze the tape in question.

If the tape is in the scratch pool - it's particular bad, because it often will be picked for write operations.

Hi,

Thansk for advices. 

I tried two tapes, neither of them started backup. As a result, can I say that these two tapes are faulty?

When I made a pool change on another tape, it started writing

soolean_0-1699368479927.jpeg