cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUE 9.1, LTO-1 to LTO-2 upgrade; new drive not known?

S__Saunders
Level 2
Hi all...

Just registered here to ask this question (got hired a couple of months ago, so I'm still figuring out everything, including doing tech registration with our vendors). Yes, I did search the forums first; I can't swear the answer isn't there but I *did* look...

Got a running BackUp Exec 9.1; overall, we're very happy with it. We've been using a Dell LTO-1 drive to do backups, but 2 things make us want to change: 1) the backup size is moving beyond LTO-1 capacity, & 2) we're getting a new server that will stay within LTO-1 capacity for the foreseeable future.

So, we've bought an LTO-2 drive, which we're putting onto the existing server, and we will move the LTO-1 to the new server; so far so good (I hope).

The LTO-2 is now on the existing server, BUT it's not working. It seems that BUE 9.1 doesn't recognize what it's got. When I go to the device-config wizard, it makes no changes (during the probe-for-hardware phase, it sees the drive, but it's "unknown").

Obviously, I need the new drive to work. Ideally, I'd like any devices that have been physically removed to also be "logically" removed (e.g. the Dell LTO-1 to be gone), but making the new drive work is my priority (and if I can't, we fallback to the old drive, which does have _some_ room)

Help?
Thanks!

- S. Saunders
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The HCL http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/271382.htm lists LTO-2 as compatible

have you downloaded the latest Veritas driver-pak http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273853.htm and tried that?
have you tried loading the mfg drivers and telling BackupExec to use them?

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Pleas follow the steps mentioned by Ken. Also follow the following Article so that your previous Drive is logically removed as well.:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268626.htm

Let us know if that helps you.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

S__Saunders
Level 2
Ken, Amruta --

THANKS! Yes, the driver-pack solved the problem (I didn't need to go to the Mfg/OS level drivers' step). I had actually "found" that solution previously, but moved on without persuing it: as it hadn't explicitly listed the drive I was having problems with, I wasn't confident that it was the right solution. My error.

Amruta -- thanks also for the disable/delete solution -- that looks like what I need to finish things up!

One oddity... the total size of my backup on that server has jumped suddenly by about 15% (from 108G to 125G). I have no likely explanation. I mention it only in case someone more experienced than I recognizes the symptom and says "oh, yeah, that's ... "

Thanks again!

- S. Saunders