cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUE Version Questions

CWCTechie
Level 2

Hi,

I'm part of a small company that's interested in moving to Backup Exec after getting burned again on NT Backup. The only machine we're really interested in backing up is our Windows Server 2003/Exchange 2003 server. I know I need BUE Core + Exchange Agent to make this happen.

I've done some digging out on the web and I've found lots of different options and I want to make the best decision for my company, price-wise and feature-wise, that I can.

BUE Core

I've found BUE Version 12 Business Pack, model 13122474, which is significantly cheaper than the prices Symantec is quoting. The description of the product doesn't say whether it comes with support or not or what features it has / is missing.

BUE Exchange Agent

I've found lots of different versions of this software. The three I was interested are also version 12. One is labeled as an "add-on" (model 13122486) and does not mention anything about support. The other two mention support but one has Basic maintenance (model 13122449) and the other Essentia (model 13122450).

All of these listed are version 12. I can't find a compelling reason to go for 12.5 over version 12. I've been quoted a price on 12.5 core and agent from a local reseller and it's about $650 more than what I can find online.

If anyone could help me clear things up it would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

Since you have been burned, you are probably more willing to take advice. I would combine using Symantec System Recovery 8.5 (not sure of the price) or Acronis True Image Server ($600) with Backup Exec. The first two are imaging software and can allow for very quick restores. Even having used BE for well over 10 years, I have had restores (thankfully mostly scheduled tests of disaster recovery so no major pressure) require great effort to get them back up and running.

I would create an image nightly (you can do incrementals on tops of a full, although a nightly full is always preferable if time permits) and back that up to tape. You can also separately backup data files although they can also be restored from the image directly.

I can attest that this works extraordinarily well as I often have recovered my server this way when I didn't like the way something installed, like SQL 2008 most recently.

As far as what part number for BE, you would normally also want the Advanced Open File Option. I would call Symantec Sales to see if there are any bundles that cut the price. Get the part number(s) from them, then call your favorite reseller.

http://www.symantec.com/business/backup-exec-system-recovery-server-edition

Message Edited by Kevin Cotreau on 12-23-2008 04:21 PM

CWCTechie
Level 2

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't know about Acronis. I'll look into that.

Thanks!