cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back-to-Disk; Backup-to-Tape: EMC Celerra NAS

Ryan_Eldridge_2
Level 3
Here's a good one:

I have a customer that wants to use Veritas Backup Exec 10, open file agent, SQL Agent, & Notes agent with their various servers. They just put in an EMC Celerra NAS. So, I set up back-to-disk on for the various servers going to shares on the EMC NAS. Works great. Awesome performance.

Now here's the kicker: The customer also wants to backup (or even use Veritas copy) that backup data to an HP MSL6060 tape library on Ultrium 960 drives. I can backup anything across the LAN to the tape, but when I try to connect to the NAS shares to backup/copy the data via Veritas to the tapes I get 99% of the job done, and then it says job failed.

I get errors telling me all the files are corrupt; Advanced Open File Option not used, and Veritas cannot initialize the Windows Remote Agent on the NAS. The NAS was set up with two CIFS servers, which are simualated Windows servers, and have been joined to the domain correctly. EMC was out with the NAS installation so I'm confident we have that set up fine.

Here's the question: I haven't seen anything that says specifically I need an agent for the EMC Celerra. It's a Linux install, but so far EMC doesn't believe the Veritas Linux agent can be installed. Do I need a Linux Remote Server agent? Do I also need the Advanced Open File Agent for this customer to be installed on the main Veritas backup server?

I've never run into this before and haven't seen a lot of specific information about EMC Celerra NAS and necessary Veritas Agents.

Thanks in advance...
9 REPLIES 9

Dhavalrai_Trive
Level 5
Hi Ryan ,

What you need to do is do a Backup to Disk to the EMC NAS device and then create a duplicate backup job . You cann not install a Linux agent on the EMC box and you cannot install the AOFO agent and do not require it if you are doing a Backup-to-Disk-to-Tape.

In short do not create a seperate backup job for EMC NAS to Tape , use the duplicate backup option.

hope this helps.

Dhaval

Ryan_Eldridge_2
Level 3
Thanks for the input. I tried it once and got the same result of the files being corrupt. I can do a backup to disk just great. In fact last night I was able to do 40GB+ spread over different servers in a three or so hours. Not too bad considering the circumstances.

I have the back to disk folders set to the default of 1GB per the Veritas recommendation so we don't overload the network or memory allocation. I'm going to run the duplicate job as you recommended again since I have a good amount of data backed up and see what happens.

Ryan_Eldridge_2
Level 3
Ok. Duplicate jobs fail no matter what I do. I get the following errors:

oxe00084c8-The backup storage device has failed

V-79-57344-33992
V-79-57344-65072

The last one says the connection to target system has been lost.

Any ideas anyone?

Ryan_Eldridge
Not applicable
Still nothing on this....even backing up data FROM a backup-to-disk to another B2D folder on the backup server will tell me "corrupt file...this file cannot verify."

What is funny is my client has Veritas 8.6 on an old server. I replicated my set up for B2D to NAS, etc. and was able to backup B2D data from the EMC NAS to a B2D on the old server. No corrupt file errors.

I have killed NIC teaming on the backup server, on the EMC NAS, I even tried a user defined folder like mentioned here: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264525.htm since the NAS has Linux running it. Same results...

I am running out of options to try. I am planning on calling Veritas support, but if anyone has any bright ideas, I am all ears.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As you are getting an error as "All files are corrupt",
what is the exact error message?

we also suggest you to contact our voice support so that our technical representatives will assist you to troubleshoot this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ryan_Eldridge_2
Level 3
The files corrupt are files over 200MB in size so far, such as Symantec Ghost files or Veritas backup files from a backup-to-disk operation. The message comes back as "The file cannot verify."

The scenario is I run a backup to disk to an EMC NAS. The job completes successfully. Then I try to run a backup to tape from the backup on the NAS to the media server's tape drive. I'm running Windows 2003 with NO service pack 1. I have also tried to run a backup to disk on the media server that grabs the previously backed up data on the NAS and brings it to the media server hard drive. I get the same corrupt file messages, which some have been copied above.

Now, I can run Veritas 8.6 on another server and backup a backup to disk run on the NAS just fine.

I have tried different NIC settings, NIC teaming on and off, checked the layer 3 switch statistics. But it is like Veritas 10 cannot handle backing up single files over 200MB. My backup to disk job going to the NAS are a maximum of 1GB per Veritas recommendations for backing up over a LAN.

I am going to try to get a case with Veritas phone support today.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Have you contacted our voice support?
Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ryan_Eldridge_2
Level 3
Yes, I have contacted support. We have gone through some testing, but nothing has been resolved. As I read the forums I see other users with potentially similar issues with Backup Exec 10.0.

As part of the testing I did with support, we copied a large file from the EMC NAS to the Backup Exec server with a simple copy and paste. The copy bombed out after 25% or so giving me the error "The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request."

I have searched Veritas forums as well as Google and Microsoft and have seen this error before but it normaly refers to issues with backing up Exchange or SQL. Has anyone seen this error before? Does it have anything to do with Windows 2003 Shadow Copy issues?

This is still an open case with Veritas phone support, but I am hoping someone will have an idea for me somewhere.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

- Please specify the version of NAS box.
- Additionally start debug logging. Refer teh following technote.
Title:
How to enable or disable "debug logging" in Backup Exec for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/254212

Please copy the same.