cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackUp Exec 2010 R3 Failing on SBS 2011

jonathan3
Level 2
Partner

I have a brand new HP Proliant DL 380 G7 running SBS 2011.  All proliant firmware and drivers at latest revisions.  All tape drive firmware is up to date.

I have installed the trial version of BackUp Exec 2011 R3 onto this platform and have connected an LTO3 24 slot tape loader (Overland Arcvault 24), using a PCIe HP Ultra 320 SCSI HBA.  I am only trying to backup the local SBS, NOT any remote network clients

BackUps fail.

When I use the tape drive and cable on a different system, Backups succeed, dso the tape drive seems not to be implicated.

I replaced the SCSI card (and installed it in a different PCIe slot on the server) - backups fail

I used a (known to be working) stand alone HP LTO3 tape drive (and different SCSI cable) - backups fail

HP library and tape tools test suite indicates no tape problems.

I performed a long erase of my tapes - backups fail

I plugged in a USB disk drive and ran a backup to disk - this worked.

BackUp Exec 2010 R3 failures are consistent.

I get:

Final error:  0xe00084f9 - A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent.  Final error category:  Resource errors.

and

Storage device "HP 0002" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Can anybody help me with this problem?  Customer obviously wont purchase the software if it doesnt work and currently it doesnt work.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

jonathan3
Level 2
Partner

I meant Backup Exec 2010 R3 above - not 2011 - Doh!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the event viewer for any hardware related errrors.

Check the properties of the tape for any hard read/write errors.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...make sure that the RAWS agents are started, and have your media server in to publish too...

jonathan3
Level 2
Partner

Thanks for responding,

No Hardware errors in event viewer.

I looked at 3 tapes and they had respectively one, one and three hard write errors.

jonathan3
Level 2
Partner

Where will I find the RAWS agents please?  And can you explain what you mean by have my media server in to publish please?

edit.. I think I was over analysing your question.  I have only one RAWS agent and yes that service is started on the local SBS server.  There are No networked agents so no additional RAWS out there - I assume this is what you meant.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Sorry, I meant the RAWS agent service...