cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Apple Mac Clients

Mr_M_Cox
Level 3

Hello,

I am currently putting together a backup routine for a client of mine.

They are going to be running Server 2012 with Backup Exec 2012 backing up the server to a tape drive.

On site they have 3 Apple Mac Pro towers. Can i use the Backup Exec instance running on the Windows Server to back up either the files (drawings, images etc) created by the Mac team saved on the Windows network or can I back up files directly from the mac's? Or both?

Thanks,

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

It is an add-on agent so you are required to purchase it. It would come with a default 60-day trial.

If you have Mac files saved on the Windows file server, and this happens to be your backup server too, nothing stops you from backing up that data. No additional license is required.

If the file server is NOT your media server then you'd be required to purchase and install a Remote Agent for Windows Servers license (RAWS) before push-installing the agent to this server. From there you could backup the data.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Using Backup Exec's Agent for Mac, you can back up data from supported Mac systems directly.

Mr_M_Cox
Level 3

Thanks for the info. Is this agent somthing included with Backup Exec Server 2012 or an added cost such as the database backup agent?

If I dont have the agent is there anything stopping me backing up mac files saved on the Windows file server?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

It is an add-on agent so you are required to purchase it. It would come with a default 60-day trial.

If you have Mac files saved on the Windows file server, and this happens to be your backup server too, nothing stops you from backing up that data. No additional license is required.

If the file server is NOT your media server then you'd be required to purchase and install a Remote Agent for Windows Servers license (RAWS) before push-installing the agent to this server. From there you could backup the data.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Note: if these pro towers are not running Intel CPUs but the older types then we discontinued support for these some time ago - we also discontinued support for the MAC OSX versions that supported those older CPU's

As such be careful to check our compatibility lists.