cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Disabled Accounts

Wynand_Fraser
Level 2
When backing up Exchange mailboxes, I am unable to backup mailboxes from disabled accounts. It is a customers instruction to backup mailboxes from disabled accounts - disabled for various reasons i.e. user on leave or e-mail privileges recalled.
5 REPLIES 5

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please note that if you want to backup the disabled mailboxes it will result in a backup job failure with the following error:
" Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?Exchange User and its subdirectories.."

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Russ_Fagan
Level 3
BE can't backup the disabled user's mailbox. To backup the disabled user's mailboxes, I've enabled the user account, change thier password, login as them and export the mailbox to a *.pst in that user's home folder. I then burn that folder to CD or DVD and then delete the user and folders associated with that account.

Wynand_Fraser
Level 2
I am aware of the error message and what is wrong - I need to find a way where BE can ignore the disabled accounts and backup the mailboxes.
I can do it manually by enabling and copy to CD, but would prefer the process to be automated.
Can I suppress the error messages on the disabled accounts as a final work around.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer to the following document

You cannot move or log on to an Exchange resource mailbox

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278966/en-us.

Follow the steps given in "Workaround" section.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered questions’ pool.

Ortho_Lawton
Level 5
I found a MS VB script that can be scheduled to run on the Exchange server that will fix disabled accounts so that they can be backed up and also receive email.

Schedule it to run an hour or so before the backup starts to give the changes time to propogate.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/DROpsGuide/a209faf9-91a1-46d7-8a6d-538ce3fba85d.mspx