cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Enterprise Vault 10 with Backup Exec 2012 + Agent

James_Slack
Level 6

Hi,

We are TRYING to change backup solution for Enterprise Vault, from Commvault to Backup Exec installed on the actual Vault server.

We installed Backup Exec and ran a backup, but it completed instantly without doing anything. This, I was told, was due to the lack of a Vault Backup agent.

So we purchased the backup agent that covers EV and DBs etc. However, same deal - still not working.

What I have.

Vault Server, 2008 R2, Vault 10 called LHR-VAULT1.

Vault SQL server, 2008 R2, Called LHR-VAULTSQ1.

Backup Exec 2012 is installed on LHR-VAULT1 (as is an LTO5 Library), with the "Agent for Applications and Databases"... but I still can't backup my Vault files.

All I want to do is run a simple file backup of my closed partitions.

I have tried backing up using the selected file locations and also by using the Partition shares... neither work.

We are really getting desparate here as this is delaying a VVR / Vault replication project.

Any pointers / info would be great.

Thanks

James

13 REPLIES 13

James_Slack
Level 6

If I just try and backup the shares, it fails instantly with a "nothing to backup" error... even though in the backup client / select files bit, I can browse through the shares and see the actual files in there.

If I use the file level backup and browse through drive / folders, the backup will backup any files in those folders which are NOT VAULT. But it will not touch Vault.

Permission tests work OK.

To me, this seems like it is not using the Vault agent we just spent £500 on.

Again, any help would be amazing. I personally wonder if it is going wrong as Backup Exec is on the server, with its own SQL and that is gobbling the license... but obviously, I am not interested in backing up Backup Exec with itself!

James_Slack
Level 6

Yep, I found the Licence Assessment tool, it is showing  that I have 1 Agent For Applications license availiable and 0 in use... so it does look like it has not gone in.

Anyone know how I can check / associate this license? I thought I did it, but I guess not?!

lmosla
Level 6

Hello James,

In Backup Exec go to the Backup Exec icon and click on Installation and Licensing then Options and License Keys, the license for EV should be entered here.

James_Slack
Level 6

Hi,

There is no "license Keys" option, but there is a "License Information" option, so I went in there.

I can see the agent listed and installed, with a YES in the relevant fields.

Thanks

James_Slack
Level 6

So, no one had this issue?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Since you have installed the agent license, perhaps you should post this question in the EV forum

GeorgeSamuel_d
Level 3

Hi,

Please Check the Version of Enterprise Vault,

Because Backup Exec Supports only Upto Enterprise vault 10.0.2.XXXX

James_Slack
Level 6

PKH: Enterprise Vault is working fine though, the problem is 100% with Backup Exec. I will post something in there, but as this is a problem with Backup Exec, I expect they will point me back here.

George: Enterprise Vault 10.0.1.1171 version on the server. So that should not be the issue.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I would suggest that you open a support case with Symantec so that a technician can have a look at your problem.

GeorgeSamuel_d
Level 3

Hi James,

Before Proceeding Further we need to check whether we have proper credentials to Backup the Enterprise Vault

Please Follow the Below Given articles to check the Credentials please.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73906

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66221

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179054

James_Slack
Level 6

Right, I think I know the problem.

The agent for Vault is not being used as we have a licence for 1 item and they gets chewed up by the SQL for Backup Exec itself! Which I don't want to backup!

Is there anyway to configure this agent? To say not to look at SQL but to look at EV instead?

If not, I will be forced to remove SQL from this box and put it elsewhere, which I didn't want to do.

I am pretty confident this is the issue.

James_Slack
Level 6

New problem of the day... I am trying to install BE with the SQL on another server, but the install is failing.

I believe SQL is all setup OK and I have had our DBAs check it out. In the BE install, it sees I am trying to install it to a remote server and then it just starts local services and tries to intsall it locally, again.

I believe there is a botched local SQL install.

Anyone know how to force BE to install to a remote SQL when it is trying to intsall it locally - or what SQL is required by Vault on the non-SQL server in our 2 server environment?

Thanks

James

lmosla
Level 6

Hello James,

Take a look at these links: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74440 and  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175581

and if this is still and issue to get the best response you should open this new problem as a new forum post.