cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Exchange 2010 DBs

tolinrome
Level 4
I need to setup a backup strategy for my exchange 2010 server using symantec BUEX 2010 R2. There is an option to backup the Microsoft Information Store as well as the drives and system state etc. Should I select only the IS, or both the IS and the drives the db's are on? Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6

Just the IS in a single job.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should not mix your database backup (i.e. for Exchange, SQL Server, etc) with your flat file backups (ordinary files, system state, etc).  Have at least 2 jobs: One with AOFO on for your flat file backup and the other with AOFO off for your database backup.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Basically speaking the answer to your query is all about the requirements that you have.

If you backup only the IS then what you are protecting is just the Exchange databases and nothing else.

If you backup the IS as well as System State and Drives then you are protecting the complete server.

Its always recommended to protect the complete server so that when the server goes down due to any issue then just installing the OS and then restore of C: drive and System State will bring back the server to its pre-disaster state. Then you will have to restore the Exchange databases to make them work back in consistency state.

So as said its all about what is the requirement and policy of your company. Also as PKH said, do no mix the backups. Also ensure that IS is backed up seperately in other job.

Thanks,

-Sush...