cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up TRN and BAK files

HTC
Not applicable

I have several MS SQL 2005 servers.  I have maintenance plans on each that sends .bak and .trn files to a single server.  I am using Backup Exec 12, on a different server, to backup those files and am running into an error stating that I need SQL agent.  Is anyone aware of why this would be needed on static files?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi HTC,

BE uses Active File Exclusion, so SQL DBs would be excluded...not what you're trying to back up.

Just make sure in your selection list that you don't have the SQL DBs selected. This sometimes happens if you have used a trial version of your SQL agent, and selected the backups.

If not, and you can verify that your *.trn and *.bak files are being backed up, that error should probably be safely ignored. The only way to verify this is to check on your job log, and do a test restore.

Also make sure AOFO is in use for those files...just in case.

Craig

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV

Hi HTC,

BE uses Active File Exclusion, so SQL DBs would be excluded...not what you're trying to back up.

Just make sure in your selection list that you don't have the SQL DBs selected. This sometimes happens if you have used a trial version of your SQL agent, and selected the backups.

If not, and you can verify that your *.trn and *.bak files are being backed up, that error should probably be safely ignored. The only way to verify this is to check on your job log, and do a test restore.

Also make sure AOFO is in use for those files...just in case.

Craig

CraigV

Hi HTC,

Any news here?

Thanks!