cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up VMs using Backup Exec 2010

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Guys,

I am starting to look at backing up VMs using BEWS 2010.
A straight job produces the following error:

Error             : e000959b - An attempt to take a snapshot of a virtual machine failed because it was unable to quiesce a file system.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38299

That was with, and without AOFO.
My questions are the following:

1. What is the best way to back up VMs? Any optimal settings in BEWS?
2. Do I select AOFO or not?
3. Any guides (besides the admin guide which I HAVE read through, and doesn't offer any real information) I can read through, or has anybody had real-life experience and will share that?
4. Which would be better: Veeam or BEWS 2010 (truth would be nice!)...

We are in the process of preparing to upgrade to Vsphere 4.0, so for now I cannot do Incremental/Differential backups to disk (which is my intention).

Laters!
8 REPLIES 8

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This could happen because of busy Virtual Machine. We always do a snapshot operation, irrespective of AOFO being used or not. Try creating a snapshot of the VM, through ESX VI client, see if that works. Try to reduce activity on the VM, when performing the backup.

Thanks

CraigV
Cool...but you will have to clue me in a bit here too...how would I go about doing it through the ESX VI client?

CraigV
*bump*...

BkpExec2010Guy
Not applicable
Accredited

CraigV, you ever get a resolution to this?  We're having the same issue here...

tremorit
Not applicable
2 things to check. Sometimes you have uninstall vmtools on the vm and reinstall them but without the vss option selected. Test again. Also check your grt settings. If the vm does not have exchange or swl databses disable the setting under the vmware options job settings.

JayW
Level 4

Anyone find a solution to this? 

I am receiving the same problem. 

Guest is a Server 2008 R2 with 2 virtual disks(on separate datastores). Disk 1 - 60GB OS. Disk 2 - 300GB Data.

If I remove Disk 2 the backup will run with no problems.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

JayW
Level 4
Problem solved

The config file for the problem VMs was on a datastore with a 1MB block size.  Once I moved the config file to a datastore with a larger block size all is well.

Cheers

Rimz_Zero_Degre
Level 2
Employee

Try these Technotes:enlightened

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129724

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH136415

Regards

Reema..