cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up diferent partitions on a Linux server using RALUS

John_Hertell
Level 2
I am using Backup Exec 10.0 and an RALUS agent in my Mandrake 10.2 (64bit edition) for backup. I noticed that no files in my /home partition was on tape.

I checked rights etc and could not find any error. BUT when I checked "follow remote mountpoints" the backup worked nice.

is this correct behaviour? remote mountpoint isnt that a mountpoint pointing to a NFS or SMB share and not another paritition on the same system?
3 REPLIES 3

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Backup has executed successfully?

Any errors have occured in event logs?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

John_Hertell
Level 2
The backup completed sucessfully and no errors in the logs.
but when checking the tape /home was empty.

cliking in "follow remote mountpoints" made it possible to backup /home nicely! (still /home is on the same machine as the / root partition)

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Mountpoints are a feature of the file system that allow you to mount a file system using an existing directory without assigning a drive letter.

Backup Exec provides the option to back up files and directories by following links and junctures. If this option is selected (Figure 1), it is possible to back up data that is linked to local files, but stored on another device without having to actually select the device. Deselecting this option will result in the actual files and directories not being backed up; only the mountpoints that direct the file or directory to another local disk or directory will be backed up.

This cannot thus cause a local resource to be backed from the linux machine.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.