cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up to 2 x Tape devices

Paul_Alcide
Level 2
Hi there, i've recently upgraded to version 10d from version 9 on windows 2003 server. i've also added a second DAT Tape device which is an external USB HP DAT72. I can see both drives in the device pool, which are known as HP1 and HP2. I altered the Job setup so that the correct device pool was selected, hoping when the 1st Tape device (HP1) runs out of tape it then selects the 2nd Tape device (HP2) and finishes the reminder of the backup job. HP1 � device priority is set on 10 and HP2 is setup on Priority 13. So far this hasn't happened could someone advise, on how i can acheive this... Also my USB DAT drive backups up very slow when compared to using NTBACKUP

Many Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When you set up the drive pool, did you create a standard pool or a cascaded pool?

As for the slowness of the second drive - From the devices tab, right click the slow drive\Properties What are the settings for block size, buffer size, number of buffers? Also, is either Single Block option checked? (they shoujld not be)

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Does the first tape drive also USB HP DAT72 drive as the second tape drive ?

Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Paul_Alcide
Level 2
Hi ya, and thanks, the USB DAT72 drive is seen as HP2 which is device 2 in the Drive pool

Paul_Alcide
Level 2
Hi ya and Thanks, no the drive pools are just standard i didn't create any cascade drive pools as i though there would be no need to?

Paul_Alcide
Level 2
Hi Ken, here are my device settings for my 2nd Ext USB DAT72 drive

Enable Compression (checked)

Block Size (per device) 32 k
Buffer Size (per device) 32 k
Buffer Count 10 k
High Water count 10 k

Read single block (unchecked)
Write single block (checked)
Read SCSI pass through mode (unchecked)
Write SCSI pass through mode (checked)
Hope this helps

priya_khire
Level 6
Hi Paul,

Have you put both the devices in the same media pool? What is the type of job you are running: Is it overwrite or append? Ensure that you have chosen the option to append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is found. In that case, BE will append to the existing chosen media and then the job will span to the next media which should be overwriteable. Make sure that there is overwriteable media available.

What media is selected, also depends on the default option chosen in 'tools-option-media management'. If you choose to overwrite media from target media set first or from scratch media.

Do elaborate on these setting too.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.