cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Master Server PTV conversion

Data_planet
Level 2

Hi Good Day!

We have a requirement to convert Veritas master (physical server) to a virtual machine. The activity will be performed by VMware team using their supported tool.

Environment Details:

Master server version: 9.1.0.1

Operation system: WIN 2016 (Physical Server)

The master is also acting as a media server. It has IBM virtual tape libraries zoned.

The high level plan as follows:

1. Move all images owned by this master to another existing media server using "bpmedia move_db" command. 

2. Delete the IBM tape devices.

3. Zone tape drives with the media server where we have master server images and then configure tape drives.

I'm not sure does the backup server will come online after PTV conversion. Will we face any issues with host identity? because we are changing the backup server hardware. If yes, what can be done to fix it? 

Please help me with your ideas on this matter/topic.

5 REPLIES 5

Data_planet
Level 2

Sorry, there is a correction of the abbreviation it is not PTV is P2V.

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @Data_planet 

From a high level the plan is fine. 

The virtualised server must keep the same hostname as the existing master. The IP address can change (but it will help if you don't have to change it). I assume the current master must be running to perform the P2V, but make sure NetBackup is stopped before you do this.

Assuming the P2T conversion doesn't mess with anything it should come online when restarted. The good thing about doing this is if the P2V process does break something, it is simple enough to restart the original master to get backups running again while you figure out what went wrong (not that I would expect it to).

Good luck
David

Hi David,

Thanks for your quick response and advice! Yes, Netbackup services will be stopped, we use the same hostname and IP.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi @Data_planet 

It doesn't look like media manager (tape drives) are supported in Netbackup using VMware. It may work but it will be unsupported.

Pls see : https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/NB_70_80_VE

Section : Virtual media server > Media Manager -> Tabel 3

milaportil
Level 2
You can use a tool called Nb server migrator. Simply create a server with the same hostname but a different IP address on VMware and follow the instructions for the tool. Netbackup can continue to function actively during the process.