cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up to multiple drives...

Ryan_Priest
Level 2
How can I get BE to span a single job across multiple tape drives? I used to be able to do this in another product that by most standards was not as advanced (or expensive) as Veritas. I used to do this to shorten the amount of time that a backup took (48 hrs on one drive = apx 24 hours on 2 drives).

I tried setting up a drive pool, but only one drive gets used in the pool. All priorities on the drives in the pool are the same.

At a loss. Is this not possible? It does not make sense if this cannot be done.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Ryan
4 REPLIES 4

Ricardo_Pistari
Level 5
There was an option... "RAIDirector", but I guess is not available since 8.6.

"RAIDirector®

RAIDirector is a tape RAID option, supporting RAID levels 0, 1, 0+1 and 3, that provides increased performance and fault tolerance of existing tape hardware while dramatically shrinking the backup window - and for a fraction of the cost of hardware-based solutions. Logically linking multiple independent SCSI tape devices provides flexibility for mirroring (ideal for offsite storage), striping and striping with parity. Also, exclusive RAID stacking allows for mirrored, striped sets. "

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Yes, it is possible to possible to stream the backup job to multiple drives. You can achieve this by creating 'drive pools'.
A drive pool is a grouping of drives for Backup Exec operations. Drives can belong to more than one drive pool, unless a drive is in a cascaded drive pool. Drive pools can contain different types of drives, including specific drives in multi-drive robotic libraries.
For more information on drive pools please refer to the 'Administrator Manual' page #100 to page #117.

Here is the link to download the Administrator Manual.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/263944.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Read the Original Post again.

He wants to write to two drives at the same time, not consecutively.

As Ricardo said, with RAIDirector this was possible, but that product is no longer offered.

Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Ryan_Priest
Level 2
Hmmm...That is too bad that this cannot currently be done. Hopefully Veritas will add this as a feature in a future release.
Thanks for your help.
-Ryan