cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up to several internal hard drives, prompt to overwrite every time

10dCustomer
Level 2
Good Afternoon.

We're working on backing up from several Linux clients to a Drive pool with seeral 1.7TB drives. Each is set to allow 2GB files, and to allow 845 of them, with 2 concurrent connections.

Creating the first backup works as expected, writing the files to the drives. When we run the backup again, it asks if we want to overwrite the original files. This happens both if doing another full, or incremental backups. [1]
The drives are not full, far from it.  Each is only at a few hundred gig used.

In the "Device and Media" section of the Backup Properties, "When this job begins", is set to "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available."

If instead I select "Append to media, terminate job if no appendable media is available", the job fails outright.

----- [1]
Do you want to overwrite allocated media 'B2D000086'?

Media Overwrite Protection is configured to prompt before overwriting allocated media.

Respond Yes to overwrite the media.
Respond No to use other media.
Respond Cancel to cancel the operation.

------ [2]
No appendable media could be mounted.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxx - Error - Mount failed.
Physical Volume Library Media not found.

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What are the Overwrite and Append settings for the media set?

What is the Disk Space Reserver  for the B2D folder

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 10-26-2007 10:36 AM

10dCustomer
Level 2
Hey Ken, thanks for the help.
The Disk Space reserve is set to 0MB.

I don't see a way to set overwrite policy for a Media Set. As I mentioned, in the job it works if I say to append then overwrite, it just goes to overwrite right away.
If I set to just append, it fails.

In Media Set Protection, I have the Overwrite Protection Period set to 1 week. I don't think this is the source of the problem, since the older version is less than a week old.

I think I've found the problem, though. Under Tools, Options, you can set the Media Overwrite Options. Here, you can tell it to overwrite scratch media before overwriting recycable media.